View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #79 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogunn View Post
A few things more to consider:
Kona battery warranty stops at 10 years. At that point, the new battery cost will make the car not as viable as an ICE Kona. The feds state you have to support a vehicle for 7 years. Hyundai eventually will drop replacement batteries, and nothing you can do about it.
Taxes? Here in california, our road taxes are stolen for the general fund. Losing that money will generate new taxes and schemes for the shortfall-
Things like mandatory satellite tracking of all vehicles, and you get a bill for miles driven has been put forth out here.
The diy battery Rebuild/replace methodology is fully worked out on the Nissan Leaf 2010-2018, using the cell swap techniques you can fit a larger capacity battery in your 1st gen 2011.

The diy battery replacement on a Volt is simple, the controls to allow you bypass sensor failures is being worked out.

The cost of battery replacement is at most the same as a transmission but usually $900-2000 for a Volt

I have no doubt ALL PLUGINS will have diy battery replacement worked out in the next 5-10 years

As for road taxes I tend to agree with red point that no “special” vehicle specific taxes should be levied on privately owned cars, just modulate gas tax.

Because many folks are likely going to stop owning cars Altogether states will have to figure out how to pay for roads in a world with fewer registrations and less fuel sold.
My guess is they will need to budget out of the general fund for roads and considering roads help everyone this is likely the only way forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2020)