Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just like some people resort to makeshift repairs and eventual adaptations to keep older ICE-powered cars working, including engine and transmission swaps, it wouldn't really surprise me if a similar situation becomes common for EVs in general. Not sure when such refurbishments would reach a cost parity with ICE though.
I agree fully with that.

While manufacturers may not directly support replacements, alternatives already exist for select upgrades, and the aftermarket has a way of finding demand.

Speaking from the perspective of my i3, early versions have already been upgraded with larger capacity packs. The individual cells the packs are composed of are a standardized packaging supported by Samsung, and like the AA batteries you can buy off the shelf from any manufacturer, they hold no patent on the dimensions or use of their cells. Costs continue to decline as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snax For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #72 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Speaking from the perspective of my i3, early versions have already been upgraded with larger capacity packs. The individual cells the packs are composed of are a standardized packaging supported by Samsung, and like the AA batteries you can buy off the shelf from any manufacturer, they hold no patent on the dimensions or use of their cells. Costs continue to decline as well.
Just like we used to see flathead engines being replaced with OHV ones, and now even DOHC made its way into restomods, while their maintenance would seem too expensive before.

Considering a more conservative approach, I haven't seen a Jeep CJ-3B with its stock Hurricane engine for a while.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 AM   #73 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogunn View Post
A few things more to consider:
Kona battery warranty stops at 10 years. At that point, the new battery cost will make the car not as viable as an ICE Kona. The feds state you have to support a vehicle for 7 years. Hyundai eventually will drop replacement batteries, and nothing you can do about it.
A. The battery doesn't automatically fail when the warranty runs out.
B. There is not a minimum amount of time that a company has to supply parts. Federal law says they have to supply parts as long as the product is under warranty. That's it. Once the last vehicle is out of warranty they can stop making parts.
C. Just because they offer parts doesn't mean they have to offer them at a reasonable price. A replacement battery pack for my Spark EV was $23,000. At that cost they can put one on the shelf and never sell it.

Quote:
Taxes? Here in california, our road taxes are stolen for the general fund. Losing that money will generate new taxes and schemes for the shortfall-
Things like mandatory satellite tracking of all vehicles, and you get a bill for miles driven has been put forth out here.
Oregon has a similar program called OReGO that I've been part of since the beginning. It works well and I think charging road usage fees by the mile instead of a gas tax makes a lot of sense.

You don't have to use the GPS tracker but it has benefits. With the tracker you only pay for miles driven in the state on paved roads. Without the track you pay based on odometer readings. You can also set up parental control where it will notify you if a certain speed is exceeded or the car goes out a set range.

California and Washington are doing trials and 14 western states are looking into a joint system. (A sat in on the recent OReGO quarterly meeting since it was done via Zoom due to COVID) I expect it will be the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), redpoint5 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Just put road maintenance into the general fund budget and collect it as income or property taxes from everyone. Even if you don't have a driver's liscense you benefit from roads and highways as much as anyone else. Like Hoffa always said, anything you have came on a truck. The amount of time and waste in trying to split up levels of road usage and tax accordingly seems silly. Why is it just this area where this standard is applied? Why wouldn't this say apply to the schools? Sure education benefits even people without children, but like I pointed out so do the roads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), Snax (06-26-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #75 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Just put road maintenance into the general fund budget and collect it as income or property taxes from everyone. Even if you don't have a driver's liscense you benefit from roads and highways as much as anyone else. Like Hoffa always said, anything you have came on a truck. The amount of time and waste in trying to split up levels of road usage and tax accordingly seems silly. Why is it just this area where this standard is applied? Why wouldn't this say apply to the schools? Sure education benefits even people without children, but like I pointed out so do the roads.
I agree. We should set income taxes and property taxes at a level sufficient to fund our budget, have everything go into a general fund and then allow our elected officials do their job and create a budget. However, that seems to be a minority opinion and the trend is to more and more specific taxes that go into specific funds.

If we are going to try to fund road maintenance through a specific tax / fund I think fee per mile works well and fairly charges people based on how much they use the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), Hersbird (06-27-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Just put road maintenance into the general fund budget and collect it as income or property taxes from everyone. Even if you don't have a driver's liscense you benefit from roads and highways as much as anyone else. Like Hoffa always said, anything you have came on a truck. The amount of time and waste in trying to split up levels of road usage and tax accordingly seems silly.
This would be the best approach.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (06-27-2020), rmay635703 (07-24-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #77 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
A few things more to consider:
Kona battery warranty stops at 10 years. At that point, the new battery cost will make the car not as viable as an ICE Kona. The feds state you have to support a vehicle for 7 years. Hyundai eventually will drop replacement batteries, and nothing you can do about it.
Taxes? Here in california, our road taxes are stolen for the general fund. Losing that money will generate new taxes and schemes for the shortfall-
Things like mandatory satellite tracking of all vehicles, and you get a bill for miles driven has been put forth out here.
The diy battery Rebuild/replace methodology is fully worked out on the Nissan Leaf 2010-2018, using the cell swap techniques you can fit a larger capacity battery in your 1st gen 2011.

The diy battery replacement on a Volt is simple, the controls to allow you bypass sensor failures is being worked out.

The cost of battery replacement is at most the same as a transmission but usually $900-2000 for a Volt

I have no doubt ALL PLUGINS will have diy battery replacement worked out in the next 5-10 years

As for road taxes I tend to agree with red point that no “special” vehicle specific taxes should be levied on privately owned cars, just modulate gas tax.

Because many folks are likely going to stop owning cars Altogether states will have to figure out how to pay for roads in a world with fewer registrations and less fuel sold.
My guess is they will need to budget out of the general fund for roads and considering roads help everyone this is likely the only way forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
It's been said that autonomous cars will increase the road load. Those will be owned by some corporate entity.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:56 AM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
EVTV has some interesting point's on Tesla having instantiated his Selfish Solar paradigm. Telsa undercut his EV conversion business, and has a microgrid solution, so Jack Rikard can declare victory and go home.

The doctors say he might have another year or two to enjoy the results of his life's work.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:12 AM   #80 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
With those smacks he should ASMR to the title.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Reply  Post New Thread