View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doofus McFancypants
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
On the Altima forum a guy purchasd a kit and was working on it.
His results were WIDELY varied - some showed improvement - some showed worse mileage. Was the improvement based on the HHO system, or was he using soem FE techniques cause he was paying attention to his driving more?

You are basically adding the gas (H2) to run your engine lean. Not sure if there is really a power gain to it - but the efficiency is driven my leaning out the engine.

MANY guys jumped on that thread about the "sillyness" of running the engine lean without a wideband O2 sensor to actually see the ratio - as to lean is very very bad.

Does running lean improve fuel economy? Honda things so ( lean burn mode)
is ti something a DIY person can emulate? Not likely
Will a kit on the internet solve the energy issues? the CONCEPT is based on a reality (lean burn) - but the execution is very poor and there are MANY scammers out there who will jump ANYTHING to make a buck.

I wish someone with more engine experience could do Independant verification of the systems in realworld enviroments on real cars. Then i would think this has some legs - Until then, i consider it someone taking a real item ( lean burn) and trying to capitoloze on it to make some $$.

But that is just my $0.011 ( 2 cents adjusted for the weak dollar)

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)