View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post
~Cool

I've never seen a HX that doesn't get at least 45 mpg!
Yup! BlackDeuceCoupe was exactly right, it turned out.

I got 53 mpg over 137.2 miles, driving it home to CT from NH. I'm pleased!

I drove between 60-70 mostly, sometimes 80. I did coast on downhills, in neutral with engine running. A few fast starts and a small bit of a/c and defrost use. Tires at 37 psi cold because they're sidewall stamped for 35. If it had 44 psi tires I'd have pumped them up harder.

And MetroMPG, I don't know anything about a ScanGauge not being useful with lean burn. Clarify?

My understanding is that ScanGauge calculates fuel consumption based on injector open time and frequency - and calculates that against speed to get mpg. So? Even for hybrids - and the Insight is a hybrid with lean burn also - ScanGauge supposedly does a great job. You do have to set it to HYBRID mode for it to calculate engine-off coasting. If you don't set it to HYBRID it doesn't count distance if ign. is off.

As for MPGuino- yikes. I have a wife and a play in a band and sing in a choir and and and - I don't think I can right now muster the concentration to build that sort of thing. Sorry to disappoint you there. If I didn't have some of these other things going on I might be up to the challenge.