View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #585 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
It's kind of funny, when you have an inefficient big V6 like my Infiniti, the temperature gauge moves up kind of unbelievably fast (reaches the middle in around 2 miles of driving) compared to when I had my 1.8L Toyota MR2 Spyder which wouldn't hit 160F for many many miles.

I'm kind of surprised your engine is warming up that slowly with the grill fully blocked.
I've found it rises quickly when I let it idle - as in, fully warm in ~10 minutes. I can only see this being for two reasons:

1) When idling, there's no air moving over the engine, and
2) Ignition timing is very retarded, meaning a lot of energy is being lost out of the exhaust, not doing any useful work.

I would have thought very retarded ignition timing would cause it to warm up more slowly, rather than faster. Over-advance and you have the heated charge sitting in the cylinder longer. Over-retard, and most of it goes out the exhaust.

I figure at least part of it is that, since it's running at basically 1% load to move the car down the road (I literally see throttle positions of 1-3% under many driving conditions), the air blowing over the block, or even just the oil pan, is enough to keep a relatively efficient engine cool. K series may not be 41-44% thermally efficient like the stock engine, but they're still pretty darn efficient for what they are.