View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Slow to update, busy but a successful trip

I am updating now that I am home in Colorado. I only spent 3 full days in PA running around, trying to do everything that would have done in a week last year before COVID ruined that. I had a successful visit and will be going back out for a week in June. I made the return trip in just 2 long days of driving. I did stay briefly at a hotel in Davenport Iowa but between driving rapidly and taking brief rests, I didn’t have much time to post.

FWIW, back at the start of the trip, I got a check engine light while driving before daylight in WY in freezing drizzle and a strong northeast wind. It turns out I have a bad mass air flow sensor and was unable to get it replaced for the duration of the whole trip. This could not have been helping my mpg but the car mostly ran fine so “hammer down”. The ScanGuage likes about 8 hours of inactivity before it recalculated a new “day” so it did not separate the days when I was only at the hotel for 7 hours.

I put more details in my fuel log and that is hand calculated so it should be very accurate. I can tell you the wind was terrible and either some form of cross or headwind. The speeds were high and sustained- set the cruise to 5 over except in construction zones.

The quick stats- 1,685 miles and 37.8 gallons of diesel for 44.58 mpg for the return trip. I may post this in “Success Stories” because I am amazed it was not worse. This was days of driving at 75-80 mph for almost the whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 04-27-2021 at 08:01 AM..