Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
The first leg was not dismal

Today did a shorter drive of only 232 miles to spend a night with my wife’s family east of Cheyenne WY. This leg included most of the 2 lane roads for the rest of the trip. Speed limits were adhered to through towns. On the open roads I generally stuck to my goal of 5 over although at times it was 10 over. I generally get good mpg traveling this direction due to a few unique factors.

1. Elevation- After the first 50 miles much of the trip is at over 8,000’ above sea level. With a slight downhill grade I will show 130 mpg or higher at 75 mph. The thin air really helps mpg.

2. Favorable winds- On I-80 the wind was 26 mph out of the west/northwest, a strong tailwind.

3. Mostly downhill from the continental divide east of Laramie to Cheyenne. It is generally rolling but in 40 miles goes from 8,500’ to 6,300’.

Cd, you would have to drive this section under the same conditions that I did to get the crazy high numbers I was getting on I-80 at 85 (at times 80 mpg). Do not expect to get the same mileage at sea level, on the flat, on a windless day. I was still at 53 mpg for the trip when I got to Cheyenne. You climb again leaving Cheyenne and on the inclines I saw instant mpg drop into the 20s at times at 80 mph.

Stats for the day- 232 miles in 3.6 hours @ 63 mph average speed.
49.2 mpg for the day. 4.7 gallons of diesel. (From the ScanGuage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 04-19-2021 at 10:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-19-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Look for summer fuel, should be available at big truck 'oasises' now.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Not bad considering...

Today started out before daylight with pea soup fog. Not a fun way to start a long day. I got a bite of breakfast and started east slowly as the fog lifted. It was replaced with 20-30 mph winds from the northeast. A quartering headwind catches the largest profile of the car. Traffic was light and I continued with my target of 5 over the limit. (The Mk IV VW speedometer reads 2-3 mph higher than the Garmin on the dashboard). However, much of the day was spent at an actual 5 over the 75 mph limit through Nebraska and Iowa.

Between freezing drizzle on the windshield, wind and light snow at times, I still managed 46.2 mpg for the day at an average speed of 70 mph. Luckily as the day progressed it slowly warmed into the 40s and the wind slowed into the teens out of the north.

884 miles, 19.1 gallons used, 12.6 hours of driving.

Quote:
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
First half of the trip completed

Today was another big day. 600 miles to my destination. According to the ScanGuage I used 12 gallons of fuel and got 47.8 mpg for 9 hours of driving. I went through Indianapolis and Columbus and headed north toward Cleveland. Wind was pretty much 5 mph from the north all day. Traffic was mostly good and I was able to stay at “5 over” or 70 mph most of the day. The ScanGuage breakdown may have been slightly optimistic on mpg. The first 2 fillips hand calculated to 46.8 mpg from my home to eastern Indiana.

The storm that has been chasing me since I left Colorado should get here overnight. It could be messy here tomorrow but I won’t have much driving to do.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Slow to update, busy but a successful trip

I am updating now that I am home in Colorado. I only spent 3 full days in PA running around, trying to do everything that would have done in a week last year before COVID ruined that. I had a successful visit and will be going back out for a week in June. I made the return trip in just 2 long days of driving. I did stay briefly at a hotel in Davenport Iowa but between driving rapidly and taking brief rests, I didn’t have much time to post.

FWIW, back at the start of the trip, I got a check engine light while driving before daylight in WY in freezing drizzle and a strong northeast wind. It turns out I have a bad mass air flow sensor and was unable to get it replaced for the duration of the whole trip. This could not have been helping my mpg but the car mostly ran fine so “hammer down”. The ScanGuage likes about 8 hours of inactivity before it recalculated a new “day” so it did not separate the days when I was only at the hotel for 7 hours.

I put more details in my fuel log and that is hand calculated so it should be very accurate. I can tell you the wind was terrible and either some form of cross or headwind. The speeds were high and sustained- set the cruise to 5 over except in construction zones.

The quick stats- 1,685 miles and 37.8 gallons of diesel for 44.58 mpg for the return trip. I may post this in “Success Stories” because I am amazed it was not worse. This was days of driving at 75-80 mph for almost the whole day.

Quote:

Last edited by COcyclist; 04-27-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Old 04-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard
True enough, but I'm not the one who figured it out.

Your tale makes me want to overcome the streetability issues with the Dasher diesel. It sucks around town but it really likes to stretch it's legs.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Totals for the trip

I filled the tank at the start and end of the trip. Hand calculated totals are 3,697 miles door to door, 80.315 gallons of diesel used at roughly $3.20/gallon for a fuel cost of $256.

The turbo diesel Golf returned 46 mpg for almost 3,700 miles of fairly high speed driving.

I was on a different cross country trip years ago when an overtaking semi truck blew a tire near me. Pieces of tire and tread were flying everywhere. We avoided damage but a piece of tread literally skipped off the roof of the car. For this and other reasons I do not like to hang out near tractor trailers. There was much passing done on this trip but I was on usually on full boost of the turbo with the pedal mashed to the floor to get around quickly, the opposite of hypermiling.

Besides a Tesla is there another car out there that has this kind of power and can return this kind of mpg at these speeds?

Quote:
Reply  Post New Thread