View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. A little update since installing the pan. With only those 4 bolts and the lip of the air dam holding/securing the pan, the pan has shown no signs of movement. I'm still going to install more attachment points, but for everyday use it seems to work well. I had one scare this morning when I had it on cruise control on the highway and I suddenly lost power and it felt like I was carrying a parachute. I turned off the cruise and the problem went away (I've had a feeling the cruise control has been going out for some time now). When I got to work, I checked the pan and it's still firmly secured.

With that being said, I filled up for the first time last night and my MPG for the tank was 17.3! Not bad considering that's working off of an average 16! That also included about 40 miles of "no mods" and 20 miles of (12) 3x3s on the roof (long drive, story for another time). So 60 miles of a 260 mile tank were "different". I have a feeling I should do an A-B-A test, I'm just dreading having to drive with it off for a few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
"Speed Nuts" work for attaching to the edge of the airdam etc. It slides over one edge like a paperclip with a nut on the back, pre-drill a small hole and the screw draws it tighter.
After a bit of research I had a "duh" moment when I realized these U-nuts/speed nuts would work perfectly. I found a pot full of them on Amazon for a couple of bucks and ordered them. When they got here, I opened the box and before I could even touch the bag I realized my mistake. The hole/nut is on the open end which means when I clip the nut onto the air dam I would need to drill a hole through the air dam which is what I was trying to avoid. If the hole/nut was closer to the hinge side rather than the open side it would work perfectly. Alas, I had to go back to the drawing board...

After continuing to live my life laying on the ground with 3500 pounds above me, I kept looking for an option that I like that I think would work in the long run. I think I have a plan that will work. There are several bolts with extra length and holes in the frame not being used. I think I can tap the holes for a bolt and use the existing bolts to install a vertical support piece out of flat bar and then either attach some sort of strut frame or attach the belly pan directly to those vertical pieces. I think I have found a hole/bolt in just about every area so the support should be good around every edge (and the middle I already have covered).

On a side note that is marginally related, what do you guys think of brazing? I've never done it before, but I got the brazing tools needed for a previous project that didn't pan out (no pun intended) because I left that company and didn't need to work on that project anymore. I might use it in this project for the vertical brackets if/when needed.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021)