Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2021, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
A few more thoughts I should have mentioned...

I want this to be a template for an eventual metal skid plate. With that being said any "frame" work I do to support the coroplast I would prefer would be setup to accept the plate without modifications.

I did test run this guy on a windy, hilly backroad approaching 60 MPH and there was no discernible movement. I was listening with the window down for anything. Also, the bolt in the previous post is well into the nut with no signs of movement.

Even though it's not secured, the middle of the pan does have a resting support so it doesn't flop as it rests against the radiator lower support.

I work for an electrical contractor, I wonder if I can utilize some strut in some way.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-03-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Rivnuts. Might need reinforcing washers to prevent tearout. Otherwise building adhesive on "T" nuts.

Strut is incredible for reinforcement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
work for electrical contractor

1/2-inch EMT is a great low cost material for panel frame and sub-frame fabrication. I prefer oxyacetylene with a small tip, however, a wire-feed will certainly work.
Mounting ears can be attached wherever needed, including those for Dzus fasteners.
Also, 'stacked' metal, multi-level heat-shields, with dead-air voids spaced between sheets, can be attached between coroplast and heat sources to protect against thermal 'creep.'
Scrap, EMT cut-offs make great vertical spacer material.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Regarding using the coroplast as a future template, do not wait 10 years to do the second phase.

I used this material on the tonneau bed cover, and every year it was wrapped a little more and now looks like a wave you could surf on.

Replacement for Tonneau Fabric - Coroplast
Poor man's Tonneau Cover - Replacement - Pelican Parts Forums

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 06-07-2021, 04:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
1/2-inch EMT is a great low cost material for panel frame and sub-frame fabrication. I prefer oxyacetylene with a small tip, however, a wire-feed will certainly work.
Mounting ears can be attached wherever needed, including those for Dzus fasteners.
Also, 'stacked' metal, multi-level heat-shields, with dead-air voids spaced between sheets, can be attached between coroplast and heat sources to protect against thermal 'creep.'
Scrap, EMT cut-offs make great vertical spacer material.
I hope you grind off the zinc coating first. Otherwise, not at all good for your health...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021), COcyclist (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
^ X2 (You can get really bad fumes even if you grind or sand. Do this in a really well ventilated area)

"Speed Nuts" work for attaching to the edge of the airdam etc. It slides over one edge like a paperclip with a nut on the back, pre-drill a small hole and the screw draws it tighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. A little update since installing the pan. With only those 4 bolts and the lip of the air dam holding/securing the pan, the pan has shown no signs of movement. I'm still going to install more attachment points, but for everyday use it seems to work well. I had one scare this morning when I had it on cruise control on the highway and I suddenly lost power and it felt like I was carrying a parachute. I turned off the cruise and the problem went away (I've had a feeling the cruise control has been going out for some time now). When I got to work, I checked the pan and it's still firmly secured.

With that being said, I filled up for the first time last night and my MPG for the tank was 17.3! Not bad considering that's working off of an average 16! That also included about 40 miles of "no mods" and 20 miles of (12) 3x3s on the roof (long drive, story for another time). So 60 miles of a 260 mile tank were "different". I have a feeling I should do an A-B-A test, I'm just dreading having to drive with it off for a few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
"Speed Nuts" work for attaching to the edge of the airdam etc. It slides over one edge like a paperclip with a nut on the back, pre-drill a small hole and the screw draws it tighter.
After a bit of research I had a "duh" moment when I realized these U-nuts/speed nuts would work perfectly. I found a pot full of them on Amazon for a couple of bucks and ordered them. When they got here, I opened the box and before I could even touch the bag I realized my mistake. The hole/nut is on the open end which means when I clip the nut onto the air dam I would need to drill a hole through the air dam which is what I was trying to avoid. If the hole/nut was closer to the hinge side rather than the open side it would work perfectly. Alas, I had to go back to the drawing board...

After continuing to live my life laying on the ground with 3500 pounds above me, I kept looking for an option that I like that I think would work in the long run. I think I have a plan that will work. There are several bolts with extra length and holes in the frame not being used. I think I can tap the holes for a bolt and use the existing bolts to install a vertical support piece out of flat bar and then either attach some sort of strut frame or attach the belly pan directly to those vertical pieces. I think I have found a hole/bolt in just about every area so the support should be good around every edge (and the middle I already have covered).

On a side note that is marginally related, what do you guys think of brazing? I've never done it before, but I got the brazing tools needed for a previous project that didn't pan out (no pun intended) because I left that company and didn't need to work on that project anymore. I might use it in this project for the vertical brackets if/when needed.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post

On a side note that is marginally related, what do you guys think of brazing? I've never done it before, but I got the brazing tools needed for a previous project that didn't pan out (no pun intended) because I left that company and didn't need to work on that project anymore. I might use it in this project for the vertical brackets if/when needed.
Brazing (at least with oxy acetylene equipment that I use) is very easy and can give a really neat job on thin gauge material. (It can be used for thicker material but MIG /arc welding is much quicker.) Tobin bronze sticks are fine for most brazing but if strength is needed, use nickel bronze.

I brazed this bicycle carrier together that I made. Thin wall, high tensile steel tube.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021), COcyclist (06-07-2021), jeff88 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
High-end bicycle frames and Morgan trikes use brazing preferentially. Here's a reference:

www.mig-welding.co.uk/.../how-strong-is-brazing-compared-to-welding.42160/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-09-2021), jeff88 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
zinc

Good call!
The Los Angeles Public School system, in the 1960s, was thoughtful enough to hire master metalsmiths for their vocational-oriented classroom curriculum.
Safety was paramount, and the zinc issue was not lost on the instructor.
Soldering, stick-welding, aluminum casting, etc., were all conducted under forced-air exhaust and well ventilated workshop environments.
Neighborhood workshop, father-mentor-supervisors, wouldn't let our ignorance get the best of us either.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply  Post New Thread