View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The problem with the Polaris Ranger EV is that it uses 48 volts of flooded lead acid golf car batteries. 25 mph top speed, 35 mile range and short battery life.

Polaris did have a version with Li-Ion batteries but it was discontinued a few years back and cost $23,000. Polaris is suppose to have a new 2022 Ranger EV using Zero Li-Ion EV tech on sale soon.
I checked the market about a year ago since a side-by-side with bed would be more useful to my dad, and not having to maintain carbs and oil changes would be good as he ages. What was available was too expensive and used terrible technology with too many compromises.

Hopefully the new Polaris is a contender, but I'd want to get a used one, so that means waiting even more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The off-road ability of the Wrangler highlights one of the reasons why I believe PHEVs are more viable in the middle to long term than full EVs which would be supposed to operate only on areas where fast chargers are more easily available.
That's been my assumption, but it seems our opinion is the minority. Most people expect the market will just jump from ICE to BEV.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!