View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 12:41 AM   #381 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
With alloy wheels you can employ a step drill, else a machined ring.
Spent what time I have for cars today on my daughter's BMW, which is almost all I do for cars right now. Next in line is my wife's Subaru. Then mine. Third in line, the Black & Green Civic does not get much love.

My daughter smacked a curb and bumped the rear passenger wheel over a curb corner at a stop sign. By the time she got home this infernal machine was throwing "BMW codes" for the TPMS and the traction control real loudly on its stupid 2006 dashboard computer screen. Then it started sqwaking a bout the ABS, too. I recently bought a multi platform scanner that is also special for the E90 BMW, so I am sorting this out. Yesterday's victory was confirming that the car is safe to drive. Today was clearing codes and finding what comes back and I found the "Intelligent Battery Sensor," which is right over the wheel she wacked into Orange County infrastructure, had come unplugged (probably in the "impact"?). Pluggin it in made some marginal progress. If I have to replace all these parts it could run me $1,000, assuming I can do the labor. Have I said before how much I hate this car? Tomorrow, I think I will do a battery reset of the ECU, see what that does. And when that inevitably fails, maybe Friday I'll try checking wheel speed sensor connects and some other relevant nonsense. BMW is an acronym for stupid vanity.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.