Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2021, 12:41 AM   #381 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
With alloy wheels you can employ a step drill, else a machined ring.
Spent what time I have for cars today on my daughter's BMW, which is almost all I do for cars right now. Next in line is my wife's Subaru. Then mine. Third in line, the Black & Green Civic does not get much love.

My daughter smacked a curb and bumped the rear passenger wheel over a curb corner at a stop sign. By the time she got home this infernal machine was throwing "BMW codes" for the TPMS and the traction control real loudly on its stupid 2006 dashboard computer screen. Then it started sqwaking a bout the ABS, too. I recently bought a multi platform scanner that is also special for the E90 BMW, so I am sorting this out. Yesterday's victory was confirming that the car is safe to drive. Today was clearing codes and finding what comes back and I found the "Intelligent Battery Sensor," which is right over the wheel she wacked into Orange County infrastructure, had come unplugged (probably in the "impact"?). Pluggin it in made some marginal progress. If I have to replace all these parts it could run me $1,000, assuming I can do the labor. Have I said before how much I hate this car? Tomorrow, I think I will do a battery reset of the ECU, see what that does. And when that inevitably fails, maybe Friday I'll try checking wheel speed sensor connects and some other relevant nonsense. BMW is an acronym for stupid vanity.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #382 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Careful diagnostics can be very satisfying

I appear to have fixed multiple codes through methodical diagnostics. Cost me a $198 scan tool, which is mine to keep, and I avoided the $120 diagnostics fee my daughter was quoted. The tool works on all my cars (and my old scan tool was stolen last winter anyway). Also cost me a roughly fifty-cent, 40-amp fuse. I avoided the risk of the shop using fault codes to talk up repairs and replacements of the ABS, the traction control module, the tire pressure monitoring system, and the steering geometry sensor... what would THAT have cost from BMW?!

Hopefully the codes do not come back. I think they won't, most probably.

I want to thank this EM community for this... I began serious auto repair learning on this forum 10 years ago. This is my primary car community. Almost all of my teaching-peers were/are here.

Have a good eve, guys. I am back at my writing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_124612.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	30868  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-17-2021), freebeard (06-17-2021), Joggernot (06-18-2021), MetroMPG (01-04-2022)
Old 06-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #383 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
How large/small is the center bore? Online you can find lists of rim sizes that include center bore... I have downloaded lots of that info (in case sites disappear as they have in the past).
I didn't take the wheel back off, just used a set of calipers on the stub axle/protrusion, but I measured 59mm. The wheels might be 60mm.

Anything helps in the search.

1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Old 06-19-2021, 09:22 PM   #384 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
I didn't take the wheel back off, just used a set of calipers on the stub axle/protrusion, but I measured 59mm. The wheels might be 60mm.

Anything helps in the search.

The list on bolt-pattern.com is really good and international. They list a ton of old Fiats as having 4/98 and 58.1 Center Bore, so I bet that's the number you are guestimating. If you got a set of center bore spacers of a couple milimeters, you would have more selection of rims with larger centerbore.

There are Dacia rims there listed as 4x100 with a 60.1 center bore... there are other makes with 58.1 mm centerbore....

The second gen Ford Ka (2009-2016) has precisely your specs: 4/98 & 58.1 center bore. Ditto lots of Lancias, including relatively recent models. The Peugeot Bipper and Bipper Tepee 2008-16 is listed with exactly your patterm and bore.

Lots of Ladas have had the 4/98 bolt pattern with center bore 58.6. A few Nissans are very close. A bunch of Renaults are close.

The Subaru Trendy/Justy first gen (84-88) is listed at 4/100 and 59.1 center bore. With a spacer... that fits.

Clearly a hard match to make!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #385 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:

I appear to have fixed multiple codes through methodical diagnostics. Cost me a $198 scan tool, which is mine to keep, and I avoided the $120 diagnostics fee my daughter was quoted. The tool works on all my cars (and my old scan tool was stolen last winter anyway). Also cost me a roughly fifty-cent, 40-amp fuse. I avoided the risk of the shop using fault codes to talk up repairs and replacements of the ABS, the traction control module, the tire pressure monitoring system, and the steering geometry sensor... what would THAT have cost from BMW?!

Hopefully the codes do not come back. I think they won't, most probably.

I want to thank this EM community for this... I began serious auto repair learning on this forum 10 years ago. This is my primary car community. Almost all of my teaching-peers were/are here.

Have a good eve, guys. I am back at my writing.
Congratulations! Hopefully it does not return or you may be looking for what shorted to cause the blown fuse. Another extra fuse in the glove box and showing your daughter which it is might be worth the effort.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #386 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Congratulations! Hopefully it does not return or you may be looking for what shorted to cause the blown fuse. Another extra fuse in the glove box and showing your daughter which it is might be worth the effort.
Good points. I did explain the failure fully to her, and she has a set of extra fuses in the car. She has done lots of the work with me, so she could do this if it failed again, probably needing me oon the phone with her.

I have assumed that the failure scenario was like this: she rode pretty hard over a curb with the rear passenger wheel. Inside the trunk, above that wheel, is the battery. The battery has an "intelligent battery sensor" on it that helps the car monitor and regulate power flow (lows and highs). I found the sensor unplugged because the car was throwing "BMW specialty codes" as if it were "missing." My daughter said the failure of traction control, ABS, and the tire pressure monitor system occurred about 7 miles after the impact, when she was almost home. My theory is that the curb bump detached or almost detached the battery sensor, and when it detached it set up the possibility of a power surge at some point. When a surge happened in the traction control while driving, it finished off a possibly already failing fuse. Bad theory?

Old 06-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #387 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Bad theory?
Not if that is indeed the function of the intelligent battery sensor and its function is not a battery saver function, to shut down items to save the battery especially on long period without driving.

You would have a better idea as to the cause as you probably researched the codes, sensor function and others having similar problems.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #388 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Finished installing a new, stitched steering wheel cover for my wife's Subaru Forester. Required removing the airbag and the steering wheel button assemblies. No biggie, but it did take 3 or 4 hours total. The old wheel cover was ok, but there was some minor peeling at the top where the sun shines most often. I wanted to stop that and give her car a fresher look. If it don't look worn, and it keep running great, should does not care to get a newer one. To me, that's an ecomod. And gooder for the wallet.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #389 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Installed High Resolution instrument cluster so I could stop seeing the distorted power meter caused by using to AutoPilot configuration on an Pre-AP car. I know it’s petty, but man is it nicer.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
The Following User Says Thank You to dremd For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-21-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #390 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Finished installing a new, stitched steering wheel cover for my wife's Subaru Forester. Required removing the airbag

Did you trigger the airbag/SRS fault light?

I took the bag out of the Mirage last week and triggered mine. I mistakenly thought (don't believe everything you read on the internet!) that as long as the key was off, it would be fine. Nope, I needed to disconnect the battery.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-31-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread