View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer888 View Post
No it's a 5 speed automatic. I'd like to use it to see what various techniques can yield for economy. Vs doing it blindly if that makes sense
That's the reason to get one. However, two of the best techniques that the gauge can help you with are not possible with an automatic. Accelerating at optimal load (usually 70%-80%) is generally not possible with an AT. Engine off coasting (in neutral) might destroy your auto transmission. But it will still help you. It just might not pay for itself for quite a while. I have an UltraGauge, which was cheaper. I think the scan gauge also reads troublecodes, like the UltraGauge. If you don't own a scanner or want to bring one with you in the car, the gauge can be really valuable on the road.

Have you chacked out the Torque App? I have never used it, but it would be cheaper, too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.