View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
GM to crank price

Plugin Prius is coming

Batt pack size not an issue

Weight is weird

On a couple of issues here:

1. I can NOT IMAGINE manufacturers INCREASING the cost of an electric car by the value of the tax credit. Electric cars already cost too much and there is VERY little demand for them.

GM is on the verge of going broke if they don't make hybrids and electrics start working for them real soon. If the VOLT fails, it could become the straw that breaks the camels back. GM is not going to risk that to potentially make an extra $7500 per car.

2. The (non-aftermarket) Plug-in Prius is coming soon, along with pure EV cars from all manufacturers, although, yes, it is obvious that this will benefit GM first and most.

3. Battery pack size is not an issue here. Any EV with respectful range would qualify for the full credit. The cheap pack I just threw in my Citicar equals 7.2 KW the way they measure it. That's a good chunk of the credit right there. (Too bad it's not a NEW car!)

4. The weight issue effecting the value of the tax credit is unfortunate. This does sound strikingly similar to how the government influenced the rise of the SUV. I can imagine manufacturers designing vehicles that weigh one pound more than the cut off limit, just for the extra tax credit. Consumers then may go for it, even though the vehicle would cost that much more, and be less efficient, just for a tax credit. (I know, it doesn't make sense, but most people's buying decisions are NOT based on logic!)

Even though this economic bail-out is a rediculous thing to do, and we, the tax-payers, are all paying for it, it's my hopes that this does nothing but promote Plug-in vehicles.

(As a side note, there is also some good tax credits in there for wind energy generation, and alternative fueling stations.)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos