View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post
If you'll pardon the pun... Oh, you stinker!!!
Oh yeah, the neighbors are well aware when I've broken-out the Seafoam

Quote:
Plus, there's the 'old car' exemption, if you will. That is, if the oil is designed to be used in pre-2007 vehicles - all bets are off. So, for instance, regular Mobil 1 10W-30 oil, sold in 1 qt. bottles in an automotive stores cannot have over 800 ppm 'zinc' (ZDDP) - but, if it says "HIGH MILEAGE" on the bottle, then it's okay to 'boost' the additives - 1100 ppm ZDDP or whatever the market will bear - and the regulators will turn a 'blind eye' to it.

LoL!

Am I boring you?
No, actually this is interesting stuff. I don't really use Synth due to the cost and the small-moderate amount of oil used between changes (sometimes I have to add a quart before it's time -- it varies). Plus, I don't buy Exxon/Mobil products for personal reasons. I went through the stage of mandatory Mobil 1 use in an '03 EVO.

So back to the whole zinc deal. "High Mileage" formulas have higher amounts? So, would it kill an aging cat quicker? I've been down that road too and I have a concern about emissions.

I'm probably over-generalizing, but I just take the philosophy that a responsible maintenance schedule, with a decent oil and filter, will be less costly in the long-run than using more expensive blends.

RH77

_
_