Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have always been a fan of mobil 1 synthetic. I used it in my geo and I currently use it in my truck. Its really up to you whichever to decide, but with the amount of driving I do, it works out a little better to me, as I can drive a little longer before changing my oil. (usually 6-8k depending) I used to use Lucas Synthetic Oil stabilizer in my geo, which made a world of difference, especially with regards to gas mileage. I haven't put it in the X yet, but plan on it pretty soon. Any opinons on the oil stabilizer? I have about 15k miles on my X.

-When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

gutless wonder - '02 Saturn sl sohc
90 day: 40.17 mpg (US)

econoburban - '05 chevy surburban 2wd LT
90 day: 19.43 mpg (US)
I've used mobil 1 before and no complaints. I've actually never had a problem with any oil I've used. I'm currently using amsoil 0w30 in the saturn. It works fine to. I'm running dino in the suburban and it has the typical 5.3 noisy lifters. I intend to try some amsoil on it too.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

Real men have wheel skirts.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
I'm using mobil 1 and have for a couple years. On a previous car, switching to mobil 1 gave me around a 2mpg gain. Of course, it might have been the fact that I started taking better care in general than the previous owner.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I once heard that ELF oils are pretty good, but not available here.

But yeah, I've been using Castrol GTX for about 5 years with good results (and Purolator filters for the same amount of time). Inspecting the valvetrain at 120K revealed very little buildup and clear galleries.

I also perform the controversial Seafoam crankcase cleanse every year or so to de-gunk (including the brake booster draw).

RH77

_
_
Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I... perform the controversial Seafoam crankcase cleanse every year or so to de-gunk (including the brake booster draw).
If you'll pardon the pun... Oh, you stinker!!!

Quote:
But yeah, I've been using Castrol GTX for about 5 years with good results (and Purolator filters for the same amount of time). Inspecting the valvetrain at 120K revealed very little buildup and clear galleries.
Motor oil [standards] is a moving target!

What was true a couple of years ago doesn't apply today!

To exemplify what I'm saying... 0W-40 is hella more 'thick' than 10W-30... 0W-30 is mad thicker than 5W-20!

If this confuses anybody, let me add to the mix - synthetic oils are thinner than 'dino oil', so called, weight for weight. That's one of the reasons synthetic oils are sooo great! These days you will want to go with thinner oil, for longevity/endurance, NOT thicker, like in 1968!

In the old days, you probably wanted and needed thicker oil than the manufacturer recommended. In the 'new world order' you'll probably want thinner oil than they recommend!

Add to that... the U.S. government has decided you don't need all those additives - the stuff that makes your car last longer - because it wrecks cat converters - which they mandated also! They have mandated that these great additives cannot be sold in 1 qt. containers in automotive stores, but they can be added and sold in non-automotive stores - such as Wal-Mart - or they can be sold in bulk, which commerce and the military depend on...

Plus, there's the 'old car' exemption, if you will. That is, if the oil is designed to be used in pre-2007 vehicles - all bets are off. So, for instance, regular Mobil 1 10W-30 oil, sold in 1 qt. bottles in an automotive stores cannot have over 800 ppm 'zinc' (ZDDP) - but, if it says "HIGH MILEAGE" on the bottle, then it's okay to 'boost' the additives - 1100 ppm ZDDP or whatever the market will bear - and the regulators will turn a 'blind eye' to it.

LoL!

Am I boring you?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post
If you'll pardon the pun... Oh, you stinker!!!
Oh yeah, the neighbors are well aware when I've broken-out the Seafoam

Quote:
Plus, there's the 'old car' exemption, if you will. That is, if the oil is designed to be used in pre-2007 vehicles - all bets are off. So, for instance, regular Mobil 1 10W-30 oil, sold in 1 qt. bottles in an automotive stores cannot have over 800 ppm 'zinc' (ZDDP) - but, if it says "HIGH MILEAGE" on the bottle, then it's okay to 'boost' the additives - 1100 ppm ZDDP or whatever the market will bear - and the regulators will turn a 'blind eye' to it.

LoL!

Am I boring you?
No, actually this is interesting stuff. I don't really use Synth due to the cost and the small-moderate amount of oil used between changes (sometimes I have to add a quart before it's time -- it varies). Plus, I don't buy Exxon/Mobil products for personal reasons. I went through the stage of mandatory Mobil 1 use in an '03 EVO.

So back to the whole zinc deal. "High Mileage" formulas have higher amounts? So, would it kill an aging cat quicker? I've been down that road too and I have a concern about emissions.

I'm probably over-generalizing, but I just take the philosophy that a responsible maintenance schedule, with a decent oil and filter, will be less costly in the long-run than using more expensive blends.

RH77

_
_
Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
I'm probably over-generalizing, but...
Yeah, me too - lately - it's safer that way...

Quote:
I just take the philosophy that a responsible maintenance schedule, with a decent oil and filter, will be less costly in the long-run than using more expensive blends...
Truth be told...

IMHO, viscosity is more important than manufacturer!

The thing is, you can't really rely on 'apriori knowledge' when it comes to motor oil - not these days. Things have changed, and are changing very fast - like everything else!

That said, Mobil 1 is the most proven synthetic oil by time, useage, and testing. It's the most trusted lubricant for jet aircraft engines both civilian and military. Mobil 1 has PROVEN itself across the board! In fact, many ppl trust their lives to Mobil 1, whether they know it or not - including yourself, if you fly commercially...

Why NOT put it in your ride?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Quote:

"Plus, there's the 'old car' exemption, if you will. That is, if the oil is designed to be used in pre-2007 vehicles - all bets are off. So, for instance, regular Mobil 1 10W-30 oil, sold in 1 qt. bottles in an automotive stores cannot have over 800 ppm 'zinc' (ZDDP) - but, if it says "HIGH MILEAGE" on the bottle, then it's okay to 'boost' the additives - 1100 ppm ZDDP or whatever the market will bear - and the regulators will turn a 'blind eye' to it."
I did not know that. If my cats die they will be replaced with bigger and better flowing ones.....or, heaven forbid, straight pipe.

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
I did not know that. If my cats die they will be replaced with bigger and better flowing ones.....or, heaven forbid, straight pipe.
My wife just walked by and only saw the cats die part, wants to replace with declawed version!

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Yeah, me too - lately - it's safer that way...

Truth be told...

IMHO, viscosity is more important than manufacturer!

The thing is, you can't really rely on 'apriori knowledge' when it comes to motor oil - not these days. Things have changed, and are changing very fast - like everything else!

That said, Mobil 1 is the most proven synthetic oil by time, useage, and testing. It's the most trusted lubricant for jet aircraft engines both civilian and military. Mobil 1 has PROVEN itself across the board! In fact, many ppl trust their lives to Mobil 1, whether they know it or not - including yourself, if you fly commercially...

Why NOT put it in your ride?
It's just finding the stuff cheap. Costco would intermittently have it, but it's just demands the coinage. I let Northwest keep my main ride (the DC-9) going with Mobil 1 (until they're retired later this year -- sniffle ).

Old Reliable. Courtesy Airliners.net

Plus (really knocking on wood here), I'm predicting the rest of the car to fall apart around the engine: starting with the autotrans. The plan is to keep the car for a few more years, so it's all cost-benefit analysis math stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
My wife just walked by and only saw the cats die part, wants to replace with declawed version!
I knew this would come up after I typed it! Funny...

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread