View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 01:00 AM   #83 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
How are NZ regulations for vehicle modifications?
They're very explicit.

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s..._Threshold.pdf

For example:

Fitting of or modification to: LVV Certification is not required provided that: (refer to LVV Certifier if beyond threshold below):
Body kits and components (including utility canopies, plastic bumper skins and bonnet projections)
▪ the fitting system does not weaken the vehicle structure (Note 1); and
▪ no frontal impact components have been removed where the vehicle is required to comply with a frontal impact occupant protection standard (Note 3); and
▪ the kit or components do not present any forward-facing external projections that could cause injury, to the occupants or pedestrians, or present a snagging/hooking risk to a vehicle or person; and
▪ the driver’s vision has not been affected; and
▪ the performance of any lamp is not affected as a result of the kit or components.

^
Basically, they're strict on safety, and lax (or don't care at all) about emissions or power.

A vehicle needs no certification as long as it meets those standards. A one-time certification is needed if you exceed them, where a mechanic inspects it. I can, for instance, do lightweight 2 piece brake rotors without certification, but if I change the calipers for aftermarket, I need them certified - but if they're meant for the vehicle, they'll almost certainly pass.