View Single Post
Old 06-11-2023, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I think there are two things that could happen. It could mean you and I lose our jobs either because robots replaced us or the job market is flooded with people wanting our jobs.

Or it could mean we end up with lot of people without work or income so the government steps in and raises our taxes so they can hand out money to those who no longer have jobs and so the cost of living goes back up again.

I have no idea if either of those scenarios would happen but you just never know.

Or number three. Masses of people die of starvation or become bandits and if most people either don't exist anymore or are theives then there's no one to sell stuff to so the entire economy collapses and we go back to being cavemen.
All those scenarios seem unlikely to me. Reducing the cost of production always results in a net benefit to people. If we can produce more for less, then we benefit.

We live in abundance compared to kings 200 years ago.

That's not to say that technology will not create more problems, only that those problems will increasingly be one of spirit, and not of material. Since we live materialistically, we'll perpetually be wrong about "the problem", since we reject the spirit.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!