Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2023, 11:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Most likely you have never been in a country like Brazil. Even though adapting parts from some newer (yet not brand-new) model to keep an older one on the road may happen when some stock parts with a decent quality are either too expensive or unavailable at all... Yet seeing 30+ years-old cars or motorcycles still being used as daily commuters here is quite common.
Like when I go to Mexico in a 10-year-old car and everyone acts and talks like it's brand new.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2023, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I think there are two things that could happen. It could mean you and I lose our jobs either because robots replaced us or the job market is flooded with people wanting our jobs.

Or it could mean we end up with lot of people without work or income so the government steps in and raises our taxes so they can hand out money to those who no longer have jobs and so the cost of living goes back up again.

I have no idea if either of those scenarios would happen but you just never know.

Or number three. Masses of people die of starvation or become bandits and if most people either don't exist anymore or are theives then there's no one to sell stuff to so the entire economy collapses and we go back to being cavemen.
All those scenarios seem unlikely to me. Reducing the cost of production always results in a net benefit to people. If we can produce more for less, then we benefit.

We live in abundance compared to kings 200 years ago.

That's not to say that technology will not create more problems, only that those problems will increasingly be one of spirit, and not of material. Since we live materialistically, we'll perpetually be wrong about "the problem", since we reject the spirit.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Or it could mean we end up with lot of people without work or income so the government steps in and raises our taxes so they can hand out money to those who no longer have jobs and so the cost of living goes back up again.

I have no idea if either of those scenarios would happen but you just never know.
"The future has already arrived -- it's just not evenly distributed." -- William Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Search
Sweden has to raise taxes to pay immigration | Swedens crazy politics
swedencrazy.wordpress.com
› 2013 › 12 › 22 › sweden-has-to-raise-taxes-to-pay-immigration

22 December 2013 - Finansminister Anders Borg (M) announces that either taxes will have to be raised or re-prioritized spending , reports Swedish Radio www.sr.se . He states that the Government will give priority to bring in immigrants in the labor market . – We will need to look at tax increases or prioritize on spending, says finance minister to state radio.
First result on Brave Search. DuckDuckGo is all about how immigrants pay taxes. Google is dead to me.

There is always a third [or fourth] scenario:

The wasteful society subsidizes development and manufacture of the necessary metamaterials to enable magnetohydrodynamic and electrohydrodynamic propulsion.

I still remember when all that reasearch went dark. I was still in high school.

Ultimately we will achieve mandkind's age old dream of sending wood and brass ships to Outer Space.

Reply  Post New Thread