View Single Post
Old 08-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #126 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,819 Times in 7,276 Posts
Dropping into random pages in the Random Aerodynamic Oddity of the Day Thread can be entertaining. I was looking for a reference to 4-bar linkages and found this instead:

ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/random-aerodynamic-oddity-day-thread-35653-3.html#post581029

10-07-2018, 06:18 AM -- #88 (permalink) -- kach22i
Quote:

One study conducted in 1989, “Turbulent Flow Separation Control,” explored controlling airflow—flow separation—to decrease energy expenditure and weight in airfoils, inlets, and diffusers and improve aircraft control and decrease drag. The study employed vortex generators, aerodynamic surfaces protruding from a body that draw faster moving air to the surface of the vehicle and disrupt the slower moving boundary layer air around a vehicle, the use of which can be traced back to research conducted by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NASA’s forebear) in the 1950s. The generated vortices “energize” the slower-moving boundary layer and thereby reduce drag and, in aircraft applications, increase lift.
Maybe you're not using enough of them?

(Also found this, but that's another story:
Quote:
the Pontiac Vivant....using Pontiac parts sourced from a junkyard, including a Tempest transaxle, full-size Pontiac Bonneville alloy eight-lug wheels, and a Pontiac 370-cu.in. V-8.
I'd like to see that setup in a Model T center-door sedan.)