View Single Post
Old 09-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #79 (permalink)
BabyDiesel
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kbug View Post
I'd fix that if it were mine. I wouldn't think it would take much to get it on the road unless there is suspension damage.
I've always thought these cars were cool!

I flipped my old 1998 corolla when i owned it. I was driving down a back road one night at 25-30mph I went around a bend and suddenly found my self on slick mud sliding straight. I slid straight off the road and down intoa creek and the car stopped on the passenger side. The car got water in it and all my groceries got waterlogged and ruined.
Flatbed tow truck came and pulled me back on the road and the car started right up and drove just fine, not even a dent. just water and mud in the interior and power steering fluid.
I believe I am going to try and rebuild it. I was planning on getting another Insight and rebuilding this one, but I life has a way of diverting money into things you NEED rather than things you just need.

One thing I worry about is the amount of body damage in the rear. It’s all aluminum. Getting it bent back into shape would take a shop that knows how to rework aluminum vs galvanized steel. I’m horrendous at welding despite growing up in the country, so I can’t fall back on that.

The plastic panels I need are ridiculous expensive as well, as there is no aftermarket. Tho much cheaper than a new to me Insight.

There is not many 2000 Insights left either, especially with factory A/C. That alone makes it deserving to restore to its former glory, in my eyes at least

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr