View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
KJSatz
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatjigg View Post
Now what I am very interested in learning more about is this 'fuel efficiency mode' you mentioned and that i've seen here/there around forums. And as per my vehicle, yes the 08's were tweaked in Canada to meet the ecoauto gov't rebate program. For my car this meant some further engine tuning to do with gear ratio's i think and maybe some other minor changes, a lip spoiler (yes I agree, it's so small yet add's so much to the look of the car), and some undercar improvements to aid aerodynamics.
Really there are two facets to it, one of them dealing with iVTEC (under lowish loads from 1000-3500RPM the engine engages VTEC, using a less powerful more efficient cam on the engine), and the other this more complicated partial-charge-retraction thing which will occur in a subset of the times when VTEC would be engaged. Staying with the fuel efficiency cams is easy--light acceleration within that RPM range keeps it on--but the other part is hard to do consistently, and it's hard to see if you're in it. On a ScanGauge or the like (I do not have one, but I am looking to build an OBDuino when the ELM-free CAN version gets straightened out), monitoring the MAP sensor will tell you (it jumps down if you're in and jumps up if you're out).

I really envy all of the stock FE improvements your Civic got! I have an LX too, but it has worse gearing and worse aero off the line.