View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Old CD's can be hole-punched and hung up to keep birds off your cars/crops.

My grandfather built "e-brake caddies" for his Hondas out of scrap wood and tin cans. He built them to straddle the e-brake when it was down, and then attached two sizes of tin cans to the top (one notched for a coffee cup handle) and attached an oblong cocoa tin in the center to hold pens, garage door opener, etc. The entire thing was covered in carpet that matched the floors (he got scraps from an upholstery shop.) Very convenient back when cars didn't come with cupholders.

I'm not mechanically inclined enough to fix some things, so I offer them on Freecycle as "needs work." There is ALWAYS somebody like Frank Lee who will pick them up and repair them, keeping them out of the landfill.

Kinda off-topic, but my employer is about to scrap a bunch of old broken computers (anything from K6/450 to P4-1.8GHz.) I'd like to make working machines out of them and donate them. Does anybody know of a charity, either local to SoCal or nationwide, that can distribute these? I have a skill; might as well use it for good. (I'd also pick up all computers I can off Freecycle and fix them up similarly.)