View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Once again, I would like to iterate that it's not mainly on this forum that I got that hint of negativity toward things that haven't been done yet.. nor it is primarily on this particular subject... it's just really common that people dismiss things b/c of what "can't be done" or "won't work" because "the numbers say so" and most of them don't even double check the paper part to make sure that it was all correct...

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of people are more willing to find every reason something won't work, and spend more time making excuses than getting results. If everyone spent more time working on things, even those that are guaranteed to fail, rather than spending all that time thinking of every reason it won't work, they'd probably find a way to make it work.

Kinda falls into the "it doesn't benefit me, directly, so why should I spend my time on it?" argument...

But, I digress. Back on topic - I still like the 600HP E-Mini Cooper I posted awhile back in another thread. It had hub motors.
The original poster wants to use hub motors on his Dodge Caravan and wants to know if he can. The answer is, "yes, but it's going to be experimental or one-off, very expensive, slow and short-lived." Any other answer is promising unobtainium.

I found the site for the Mini Cooper, and was underwhelmed by the information. No information on voltage and amperage, duty cycle. Hell, maybe it's 0-60 in 4.5 seconds because these motors only go to 60 mph. Frankly, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is a bit underwhelming for an AWD car with 600 hp on tap--especially 600 electric hp.

That demonstrates the problem with wheel motors right there. Because there's no gearing, you ONLY get 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. White Zombie, with 2-wheel drive and single reduction (differential), does 0-60 in well under 4 seconds with about the same hp.