View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #960 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Oh my, suddenly all the advice on garages.

An insulated garage is part of the long-term plan for electric vehicles, other eco-transporation, and workspace.

"Sealing up the drafty bits" is an understatement. I have to start with keeping small animals and rivers out.

My garage is on the nexus of geological ley-lines. Seriously, I found a "Soil Survey of Waukesha County" which points out the fact that seven different types of earth meet at a point directly under my garage, thus heaving up and cracking the concrete.

On the one day we had so far this winter that was warm enough to melt snow, there was practically a stream running through the cracks in my garage's concrete floor.

No, simple insulating will not be enough. The garage needs to be rebuilt, from the foundation up. (Preferably on a very cleverly designed floating I-beam design.)

But as I was saying, that' part of the long term plan. I do have some fantasies of strawbale walls, a green roof, solar panels, or something similar.

If I have an electric car and a bio-diesel truck, it only makes sense to keep them in a green garage!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos