View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I've been told not to idle the engine for extended periods as the chronic low oil pressure/flow can cause damage and premature wear. I don't remember reading anything on it though, and I've never had a need to actually test it.
The main point -- not only is idling a potentially damaging proposition (especially extended idling during colder temperatures at startup), but is innately inefficient. 0 MPG.

Luckily, there is plenty of research by well-respected fuel economy experts, on the topic of idling. Even if it's -30F without an EBH, I start up, throw it in gear, wait for the fluid to kick the auto into gear, and slowly drive away (then pop it into 2nd to get the most out of the fast idle).

The previous paragraph contains an important EcoMod reference: the engine block heater. If I only had access to a 120VAC plug anywhere I park. 365/24/7 -- but on a timer. In the winter, maybe 3 hours -- summertime is about an hour.

Nevertheless, the added warmth allows a variety of efficient post-start benefits: including improved oil viscosity and flow. End of story.

Bear in mind that the grid is more efficient than your engine.

RH77

_
_