View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Ya, I can definitely do that... Mainly was irritated because I blew the last tank plus this tank as far as accurate FE is concerned... These were supposed to be my pre-instrumentation baseline tanks...

I was thinking I should look for a better way to do EOC because even 5s between off & on at 60+ mph, I'll lose 0.1mile on the odo. OK, so it'll probably take me less time to cycle between off & on, but that's the kind of thing going through my mind...

I guess due to the fact that I'm a bit old-school, I was uncomfortable leaving the ignition on for a long time without the engine running... I recall learning that the points-based ignition system of older cars didn't always like that. Might not be a problem anymore for the electronic ignition cars...
I'm with you. I have the same problem on both of my cars. My problem with key on/key off is that I'm essentially turning the computer on and off many more times per day than normal. Therefore, I'd rather find a way that doesn't involve that. Somebody mentioned before that newer engines can be shut off by interrupting the camshaft or crankshaft sensor lead. Maybe yours is new enough to do this on? (Mine doesn't appear to have a camshaft or crankshaft sensor that I can find.)