View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCool View Post
I pulled all the plastic body panels off the bike last weekend. I have a huge space where the gas tank is that measures about 10" x 9" x 19" and offers a lot of protection. There is another place where the radiator is for mor batteries. I could also build a platform above the battery between the seat and front for another group of batteries.

So after seeing some of the other motorcycle mods out there, I'm pretty optimistic that I could convert this scooter and go back with all the original body plastic AND keep that big trunk in the back!

So if I'm looking at NiMH or LiON, where is a good resource for purchasing? What specs on batteries should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Excellent. I never had all of the panels off, but there seemed to be a lot of space available around the gas tank area, radiator area and under the seat. (Heck, you might even fit the controller right under the instrument panel.)

The EVDL seems to be having great results with the A123 Lithium batteries. (These are sold as portable drill packs, but I believe A123 is selling directly to the EV community now.) You may want to post there to see if they got the charging system working on those. Since you're working with such a small pack, you won't suffer quite the sticker shock of somebody converting a car.