View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Clev
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmonster View Post
well, can you use a DC motor controller to charge car battery from a bigger higher voltage battery?

say you wanted to maintain 14.5v and didn't want the cars voltage to drop with your batteries depth of charge like with the single deep cycle battery. or you had several higher voltage batteries available and didn't want to cut them up. instead you could use the 24v or 48v and then use a DC motor controller to PWM it down to 12v.

would the 48v square wave mess with the cars electronics? or would the 12v car battery adsorb them if the controller was set low enough.
For just charging up the 12V system, I'd go with a DC/DC. It's simple and cheap.

I'm fairly sure this was discussed on the EVDL in the past, and I believe it's possible. Try searching the EVDL archives, and if you can't find it, DM me and I'll give you the email address for the person I believe had the definitive answer on the EVDL discussion. In that case, they were talking about using a higher voltage pack of flooded golf cart batteries to charge up their lower voltage "power pack" of Optimas. That way, you could get the range you wanted by using cheap golf cart batteries, and the power output you wanted with the higher amperage Optimas.