View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #95 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
2/11/08 - Craigslist materials?

Hey everyone,

I put an ad on Craigslist stating that I was looking for some misc parts for this project. I just got a reply from an area guy. I will paste his reply below.

Is anyone familiar with the chargers or batteries he has, or what a fair price for them is?

Please read is reply and give me suggestions. (I haven't talked to this guy yet)

"Ben, I have some of what you need. Can’t donate it, but I’ll sell it real cheap because I think it’s cool that you are building that yourself. I always like to mess with stuff like that but I just work too much now, so I don’t have time anymore.

Here’s what I have: Battery chargers, big on-board ones like they use for shorepower on motorhomes. I have a couple of light and compact 80 amp 12 v units that would work great for what you are doing. They are real expensive new, like $500+. We could say $100 each.

I also have a large quantity of really nice deep cycle gel cell batteries. Made for heavy duty car audio applications. The brand and model is Stinger SPV70. They sell for about $260 each on ebay. They are mint condition low use units that I have been selling off for $60 to $75 each, but I’d go $40 to $50 each for you. I have like 20 of them. They were recharged regularly and always on matching power supplies made specifically for them.

I also have excess cable in 4 ga, car audio type stuff. At my store I got a real great deal on some 1/0 ga that uses an unusual braided configuration, it’s super flexible. 1/0 is selling for like $6 a foot now, but this stuff I have 25 foot rolls that you could buy for about $75 a roll.

Also have a bunch of 200 amp relays, those might be useful for something on your project. Other misc stuff like voltage gauges, small wiring, heavy duty fuse holders and power distribution blocks, too.

If ya buy some of the big stuff, the little stuff will be on me.

Fred"

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos