View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
BillWhedon
EcoModding Lurker

Magnets and aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post

^^^My current favorite magnetic device - The Magnevex.

It uses a Fibonacci spiral array of magnets on external vortices, which rotate in tandem. Without reproducing the design, I have no idea if it would actually work, but I know that the creator (as well as many other people) are making a huge mistake using aluminum for any part of a magnet motor, since aluminum DOES in fact react to magnets. It creates a braking effect.

Don't believe me? Drop a 5kg magnet onto a 1" thick aluminum plate... bet it makes very little noise...
Another cool experiment .. Get a 1/4" ID aluminum tube about 24" long (SK Metals rack at your local Ace Hardware) and drop a 4.5mm diameter N52 magnet (5mm long cylindrical) down it and see how long it takes to get to the bottom! Quite a little eye-opener! I thought it had hung up somewhere in the tube and sighted down the tube just as it dropped out .. about 20 seconds later! Eddy currents are amazing! There's even an electric range that cooks on an aluminum frying pan that it floats by eddy current action from an electromagnetic "burner" that doesn't get hot! (The pan does, of course!)

Magnetism is a truly incredible force!
God Bless us all, and grant us the prosperity of knowledge!
Bill Whedon