View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Hydrogen (HHO, Water4Gas)

Please be gentle, I know this is a hotly debated topic.

Check out my fuel log. I've been testing out the Water4Gas product on my Del Sol. First, I installed the "passive" system and achieved 31-32 mpg . Pretty good results, but not GREAT. Then I removed the system and ran all stock (to make sure it wasn't a fluke) and achieved 31-30mpg (WTFLuke?!?! I've NEVER been able to achieve that kind of mileage before since owning the car).

So decided to install the actual HHO generator into my car. I did some quick 30mile round trips to test and achieved 42mpg, but I know that is only preliminary results and it won't necessarily reflect the whole tank mpg. Eventually, I was only able to achieve 31-32mpg . I did more research online and it turns out modern electronically fuel injected cars "defeat" the hydrogen systems by adding more fuel into the injectors because it senses the extra oxygen (engine running lean...add more fuel!!) So I tried a cheap mod on my o2 sensor to try to "trick" the ECU into thinking the engine is running rich (hence lean the fuel mixture). MPG dropped to 27mpg!!

At this point I was about to give up and conclude that the Water4gas was a scam. However, after EVEN MORE research, turns out my cheap O2 mod was too cheap and had to make it more substantial. So I re-did the mod. Also, some other HHO users suggested I tap the Hydrogen into different parts of the intake manifold to see if it will help.

So this weekend, I took a trip down to San Diego to visit my sister. Round trip I drove 177 miles, and I my gas needle is still about 3 "tick" marks above the half tank point (11 gallon tank). So by the looks of it, I'm on track to reach about AT LEAST 35mpg (on regular driving)! (oh btw, the last trip i took down to san diego, i WAS able to achieve 34mpg, but that was with heavy usage of Hypermiling techniques such as EOC, P&G, drafting, etc).

During that trip, I noticed that I was able to maintain a speed of 65-70mph on 18-19in on my vacuum gauge. BEFORE the HHO mod, I had to use 14-15in on my vacuum gauge. So SOMETHING is definitely going on.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 04-21-2009 at 07:39 PM..