Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by redorchestra View Post
I think the focus is more popular with the ricer/racer type crowd. They are quick little things and have a ton of aftermarket add-ons
not entirely true, i hardly consider them quick out of the box.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just bought a 2006 Focus with the 2.0 Duratech motor, have done a basic tune up (fuel filter, spark plugs, oil, tire pressure @35psi, fuel/ injector cleaner, cleaned MAF) and am not getting the mpg's I would like.

I drive with mps's in mind coasting when I can and using some of the driving tips from the site, averaging 29.3mpg with 70% highway (60-65mph sometimes a bit more) and 30% city little a/c use.

I want to get a Scangauge to help with my driving, I'm assuming it'll help and that's the best way to achieve higher miles per gallon? Anything I missed in the tune-up that will help with my mpg? Also going to bump my tire pressure up to 40psi. I don't really want to modify the intake or anything just maintenance stuff.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
To be honest that sounds about right for the MPG in a focus. my ZX3 got 31 MPG highway originally and that was with the smaller 2.0L Zetec engine. The biggest difference would probably be dropping your speed on the highway or doing some aeromods
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
HocusPocusSlocusGocus

Slocus - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
Sounds about right if it's an automatic. As you do a fair amount of city driving, you can alter your driving slightly and you will gain ~2mpg easily enough off the bat. The Scangage will definitely help... it helped me a lot. My car has a manual but I'm sure it's similar. The biggest difference was had in the way you accelerate up to speed. Slower is not better. I tried it both ways dozens of times, and it's always more efficient to get up to speed fairly quickly when taking off from a light or merging onto the highway. The sooner you can get to the lowest possible load, the better the overall economy.

LRR tires are the next best thing. The focus has regular all-seasons, but I got +2mpg from putting ecopia ep422's on my 09 vibe. Zetec and Duratec are the same 2.0L displacement and despite slightly different design, very similar in fuel economy as well. I've heard of people getting 35 highway regularly with the 2.0 duratec.

Does your car have the 15's or 16's? I would assume 15's as it's a 2.0l car, in which case you already have the proven-better (in terms of MPG) 15" wheels with 195/60-15 tires.

Last edited by LocoJason; 10-19-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
what did you change on the plugs. I found changing plugs from the OEM to Autolite copper plugs gapped to 0.055 made the engine smoother ruunning and my MPG s jumped significantly. look on a focus forum for the plug number i believe it is autolite 140 or something, they are super cheap too

does my sig work now?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's a 5spd, not sure on the brand of plugs I went with whatever the auto parts guy recommended should have thought more about it. I did however gap them correctly to .055.

Still not getting at all, last tank was 80% street and I got around 26mpg with very little a/c use. I need to get an Ultra Gauge to see what I'm doing wrong, I know I can squeeze more mpg's outta this little car!

I accelerate pretty slowly from a stop, I'll try getting to cruising speed quicker and see if that helps.

Guess the next thing on my tune up list to check/ clean is the IAC and PCV

Thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
if you are in the market to buy new tires go with a slightly taller tire. that got me to the best mpg s . google "focus friendly tire chart" for a list of tires that you can fit on your car.

does my sig work now?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizle View Post
It's a 5spd, not sure on the brand of plugs I went with whatever the auto parts guy recommended should have thought more about it. I did however gap them correctly to .055.

Still not getting at all, last tank was 80% street and I got around 26mpg with very little a/c use. I need to get an Ultra Gauge to see what I'm doing wrong, I know I can squeeze more mpg's outta this little car!

I accelerate pretty slowly from a stop, I'll try getting to cruising speed quicker and see if that helps.

Guess the next thing on my tune up list to check/ clean is the IAC and PCV

Thanks guys!
is this a PZEV model???

I cant get worse than 28 with mine, and was seeing 32 hwy when beating on it a lot. with the AC on, expect you numbers to stay low.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3

also...have you changed out the "lifetime" air filter?

when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ya it's a PVEZ, most of my city commutes are short, usually under 5 miles maybe that's why the mileage sucks car isn't fully warmed up yet. 26mpg around town sucks though!

With properly gapped plugs and higher psi (40) in the tires I'm hoping to see above 30 on the freeway at 65mph.

EDIT:

Just did the fuel filter a couple weeks ago and no I haven't changed out the filter couldn't find a drop in replacement. Is there one or would I need a whole new one from Ford? Don't wanna spend a bunch on an aftermarket one

Reply  Post New Thread