Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Heihn View Post
Actually some people with 1NZFEs have swapped in FXE pistons and it worked with the stock ECU and 91 octane.
You would want to use the highest octane that you have available. 91 probably gets you by, especially with the knock sensor.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Interesting, but for those of us not initiated into the inner mysteries of Toyotadom, could you point us to a translation of all those number/letter combinations?
NZ is the engine family.

1NZ-FE is the engine model for the 1.5L Otto cycle version, Echo, Yaris, xA, 1st Gen xB in US/Canada
1NZ-FXE is the engine model for the 1.5L Atkinson cycle version, 1st and 2nd gen Prius, Prius C (US)/Yaris Hybrid (Worldwide)
2NZ-FE is the engine model for the 1.3L Otto cycle version, this is an engine option for the Yaris in Europe/Worldwide.

Toyota NZ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mr, wouldn't it be hard to get a 2NZ here and to ship from Europe would be cost prohibitive. If I could afford it, I'd swap in a 1NR-FE, 1.3L, Dual VVT-i, Start-Stop, 99 HP/97.4 ft-lbs. Or a 1ND-TV 1.4L TDI.

Last edited by Sean.Heihn; 10-16-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I've looked into using a 1NZ in my third gen MR2 for some time. I recently realized that 2ZZ-GE cranks fit the 1ZZ-FE so it's extremely easy to destroke a 1ZZ-FE to 1.66L and thus shift its performance characteristics to something similar to that of the 4A-GE. I think I'm going to go with this when my 1ZZ gives up on me. The 1NZ can be used with C56 and C60 transmissions that fit my car, but you need a custom adapter (which someone has made before, they he turboed it and got a neat little monster that got 40mpg and could burn a little rubber when asked to).

It's awesome that you got a Microsquirt working with the 1NZ but I feel like you would've had an easier time just using a stock 1NZ ECU? Then you'd get automatic VVTi control. Well either way, it's great that you got it working, 1NZs have a number of aftermarket valvetrain and bottom end parts available so it would be hard to build the engine a bit if you wanted to. Like you said, the block is practically free.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you are looking for a 1.6L ZZ engine, try tracking down a 3zzfe. There is also a 1.3L ZZ engine.....or you could consider the 3.5L 2grfe. I just wired my first one of those a few weeks ago.

The trick I used to get my mr2's c50 hooked up to the 1nzfe should also work with your sypder's c56. You would need to find a scion XA bellhousing. It's possible that you could use the XA transmission as-is, but I suspect the axles are different. But either way, you shouldn't need an adapter plate.

So far the fuel economy numbers have been using the OEM 1nzfe ecu. I have the harness I made set up to run the 1nzfe electronics, and then I support the microsquirt through an adapter. I can go back to the 1nzfe ecu at any time without any trouble.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Roy View Post
^If you are talking about swapping it into a Toyota mini truck...
I didn't know Toyota made mini-trucks. I'm pretty sure they don't get imported into the US. No, I was wrong about that, but I don't think they're highway legal: Japanese Mini Trucks | Custom 4x4 Off Road Mini Hunting Trucks | Japanese Imported Mini Trucks

I was thinking about the normal-sized pickup - mine's an '88 - not the oversized newer Tundra, or even the bloated current-gen Tacomas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh
You could put one in a truck. I recommend you put it in the back, for conveyance to someone who wants to mount it in a small car.
Yeah, that's why I was wondering about two of them. Mount them together, and have an inline 8-cylinder :-)

Oddly enough, I did once own a Stout. 1968 model, IIRC, though it was in the late 1970s that I had it.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
It's awesome that you got a Microsquirt working with the 1NZ but I feel like you would've had an easier time just using a stock 1NZ ECU? Then you'd get automatic VVTi control.
The ECU out of a stock Prius? That might require lots of mods to work without the HSD. Anyway, who never considered about possibilities to use an entire Prius drivetrain into something with a more sporty look?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Toyota
I don't think the 1NZ-FXE ECU would work without the HSD. I wonder if a FE ECU would work? I think the 1NZ-FE actually uses Atkinson cycle at idle and low load, I was looking at the VVT-i timing chart for the Yaris and at idle/low load the intake stays open until 52* ABDC. That's 29% of the compression stroke.
http://www.microimageonline.com/down...als/Engine.pdf
http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...ata/1nzfxe.pdf

Last edited by Sean.Heihn; 10-18-2013 at 05:26 AM..
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius cam profiles:

Intake cam left, exhaust cam right.

The super long duration intake cam is what makes this an Atkins cycle engine.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Toyota
So does the FXE always run in Atkinson? I think it does, according to the valve timing, it just varies from mild to heavy Atkinson 'effect'. Actually, it really isn't Atkinson cycle, since that requires a engine with a special crank that varies piston stroke length. It's more like a superchargerless Miller cycle, to create an Atkinson-like effect. Toyota actually calls it simulated Atkinson. About the FE and Atkinson, why would the intake stay open that long at low RPM? I could see at high RPM to insure a more complete intake draw, but at low speed I don't see how it couldn't intake enough charge to fill the cylinder. FYI, at high speed, the intake closes at 12* ABDC, low speed, 52* ABDC, that doesn't make sense to close the intake sooner at high RPM, unless you want a mild Atkinson effect. That would give you the results of lean burn at idle/low load, decreased fuel consumption, without the increased NOX emissions.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Hmm, I wonder if one of these would bolt up to a Daihatsu move mini kei van? Daihatsu and Toyo are close cousins and have interchanged parts at different times.

What would be one better though woudl be if you could get the WHOL frontend of the prius for about $200, then you could make other cars into hybrids

Reply  Post New Thread