Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if one of these would bolt up to a Daihatsu move mini kei van? Daihatsu and Toyo are close cousins and have interchanged parts at different times.

What would be one better though woudl be if you could get the WHOL frontend of the prius for about $200, then you could make other cars into hybrids
Don't those little Kei trucks/vans already get 50+ MPG? Atkinson cycle has horrible low end torque, that's why you only see it in hybrids were the electric motor can supply the low end torque to get moving. So I don't think it'd work well in a cargo vehicle.

Now what I'd do is buy a 1NZ-FXE (or a small diesel) and make a 'battery pack-less' series hybrid. Have the engine drive a generator to supply electricity for the traction motor/s, with start/stop, a small battery pack to supply power to start the engine/power the traction motor/s while the engine spins up, regenerative braking to charge the battery pack. You'd cut down on weight and cost without the huge battery packs in current hybrids, plus with hub traction motors you'd cut down on complexity, cost, and power transmission loss and the engine, since it only provides power to the generator, can spin at the peak efficiency rpm range. Basically this is how diesel/electric locomotives work.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
An idea: Use an electronic gas pedal sender and open the throttle body to WOT at 6:1 CR before switching to 13:1 CR and shutting the throttle body to deliver the right power output. If it had continuously variable valve timing, it could be possible to cruise with the engine at WOT and the 6:1 CR setting and then gradually raise the CR to raise power output.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr220v View Post
If you are looking for a 1.6L ZZ engine, try tracking down a 3zzfe. There is also a 1.3L ZZ engine.....or you could consider the 3.5L 2grfe. I just wired my first one of those a few weeks ago.

The trick I used to get my mr2's c50 hooked up to the 1nzfe should also work with your sypder's c56. You would need to find a scion XA bellhousing. It's possible that you could use the XA transmission as-is, but I suspect the axles are different. But either way, you shouldn't need an adapter plate.

So far the fuel economy numbers have been using the OEM 1nzfe ecu. I have the harness I made set up to run the 1nzfe electronics, and then I support the microsquirt through an adapter. I can go back to the 1nzfe ecu at any time without any trouble.
Those engines exist, but not in the US. I'd like to use a C60 or something later down the road, which is a direct fit into my car, but I want to keep as much of the stock engine as possible. Using a different engine requires a modified engine mount, drive axles, and making the exhaust fit 1NZ headers, and that's annoying. Though, the 1NZ is definitely better suited to my purposes, 43 pounds lighter. I'd be able to use overbored steel sleeves for a little more weight reduction.

If you are using the 1NZ ECU, why do you have the VVTi disabled? Or do you have it working and I'm just reading incorrectly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The ECU out of a stock Prius? That might require lots of mods to work without the HSD. Anyway, who never considered about possibilities to use an entire Prius drivetrain into something with a more sporty look?
Nah I was talking about a manual transmission Yaris or something. The Prius drivetrain is a neat little piece of machinery but I like rowing gears a lot :P

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-18-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The 1nzfe ecu runs the vvti based on rpm. I want to run it based on throttle position. With the setup I have, the vvti actually needs to operate more like displacement on demand than normal vvti. That's the object. Cruise at 750cc's, and move to 1.5L when I need to.

In the case of the spyder, the key would be the 1nz XA bellhousing accepting the spyder differential. I think it probably would. At that point, you would use your existing axles and transmission mounts.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The most original thread i have seen here in a while! Nice. Subscribed!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
An idea: Use an electronic gas pedal sender and open the throttle body to WOT at 6:1 CR before switching to 13:1 CR and shutting the throttle body to deliver the right power output. If it had continuously variable valve timing, it could be possible to cruise with the engine at WOT and the 6:1 CR setting and then gradually raise the CR to raise power output.
That was my though too but it might not be practical. There is at least one stand alone throttle controller but the one I am aware of is ~$800. A couple of the high end engine management computers will do it too.

I'd love to try it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Nah I was talking about a manual transmission Yaris or something. The Prius drivetrain is a neat little piece of machinery but I like rowing gears a lot :P
Altough it would probably not be so popular back there, if the Prius would have a manual transmission at least as an option it would make sense, since it's more suitable to the hypermiling techniques.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This is great! mr220v, how much weight loss switching to the Prius motor?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Altough it would probably not be so popular back there, if the Prius would have a manual transmission at least as an option it would make sense, since it's more suitable to the hypermiling techniques.
Unfortunately not possible due the planetary gears being used to determine the relative contributions of the motor and engine.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Unfortunately not possible due the planetary gears being used to determine the relative contributions of the motor and engine.
That would demand some custom work to bolt everything, but it's not exactly impossible.

Reply  Post New Thread