Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2023, 11:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
Impressive it's capable of numbers like that but plan is still to sell it soon, as I'm still finding it just a bit too compromised for my use, and I really feel like treating myself with something quicker and more comfortable next...
An excessive compromise is what makes me consider the Smart either just as a technical curiosity or a viable engine donor for some project...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.46 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
An excessive compromise is what makes me consider the Smart either just as a technical curiosity or a viable engine donor for some project...
The engine donor part could be interesting. I remember many years ago in a magazine seeing a Lotus Europa that someone had swapped the drivetrain from a Smart Roadster into. I do wonder whether some kind of kit car with the Cdi's drivetrain might be fun. This engine in something lower and more aerodynamic would be off to a pretty good start for both driving characteristics and economy.

Edit: Incidentally, I filled up the other day, and that most recent tank with the "91mpg" run ended up being an 80mpg imperial / 66.7mpg US / 3.5 litres/100km tank in the end. Second best I've done in this car.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Even a motorcycle, named Track T800 CDI, resorted to that very same engine.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.46 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
90 day: 33.55 mpg (US)
While since I've posted in here, but the long and short of it is I sold the Smart back in March.

Basically, it did the job. I'd wanted to own one since they were new, especially since owning a first-gen Insight for a while, and then being intrigued as to whether the Smart would be any more economical.

Well, after 19-20k miles, it was... basically the same as the Insight's economy. 60.2mpg US, to the 59.7mpg US I got in the Insight.

The difference was that the Smart was less pleasant to drive, frankly. This is no great surprise (tall short diesel semi-auto vs. low longer hybrid manual) but it did start to grate on me after a while. The Insight is a firm riding car and can get swept around in the slipstream of trucks and faster cars a bit, but magnify those characteristics and you have the Smart. It just got a bit wearing after a while, more so than the low performance or the semi-auto gearbox, though the latter, while you get used to it, still does something spectacularly dumb now and then which also wears pretty thin.

Good stuff? Park it anywhere, decently comfortable over longer distances which you'd not expect, cabin space/storage are excellent, and I still like the design of it inside and out.

Will I miss it? No! Next question... (longer version: I've now ticked that box and have no desire to go back.)

I've replaced it with this:

Obviously not as economical, but at more than 33mpg US it's currently comfortably beating its EPA rating without even trying. Super consistent tank to tank too, whereas the Smart was all over the place depending on seemingly endless factors, a tiny percentage extra throttle, temperature, weather, how windy it was etc. And I don't really need to explain how vastly better to drive the MX-5 is...
Old 06-16-2024, 02:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
I think you should do better, probably needs a good intake cleaning as all diesels suffer from EGR induced soot closing down the intake passages
Old 06-17-2024, 09:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJI View Post
The difference was that the Smart was less pleasant to drive, frankly. This is no great surprise (tall short diesel semi-auto vs. low longer hybrid manual) but it did start to grate on me after a while. The Insight is a firm riding car and can get swept around in the slipstream of trucks and faster cars a bit, but magnify those characteristics and you have the Smart. It just got a bit wearing after a while, more so than the low performance or the semi-auto gearbox, though the latter, while you get used to it, still does something spectacularly dumb now and then which also wears pretty thin.
Semi-automatic, like Fiat's Citymatic? I used to believe it had an automated gearbox instead.

Reply  Post New Thread