Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lol you guys are intense. I officially leave for Idaho on feb 4th. Probably have to wait til summertime but I still want to work on an angled tonneau cover and I’ll have better access to air dam material. May be a few months before I post some progress but I’ll still be around and in summer time hitting aeromods hard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone9 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-27-2018), slowmover (01-28-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moostange - '07 Ford Mustang GT
Last 3: 21.8 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Read This

Page 85 (of paper)

Yer Welcome
Page 25 is more concerning to me, as it shows an "2008 F-100" pickup truck as an example of modern aerodynamics. There does not exist an F-100 are roughly 1980... One pic is an F-150, and the other is a photoshopped pic of a later F-150.

Kinda shoddy research for a Masters Degree...
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 AM   #83 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWRX View Post
Page 25 is more concerning to me, as it shows an "2008 F-100" pickup truck as an example of modern aerodynamics. There does not exist an F-100 are roughly 1980... One pic is an F-150, and the other is a photoshopped pic of a later F-150.

Kinda shoddy research for a Masters Degree...
Really?

Your bridge called....It wants its troll back.

Please, do tell, what paper do you hold up as an example of truck aerodynamics? How does it differ from this? Besides a photoshopped pic, what about his research and methodology makes you think this is a less than valid research paper? You did notice the publication date of this paper is 2009 so the pictures of the recent 2018 Ford weren't available to be egregiously doctored up?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moostange - '07 Ford Mustang GT
Last 3: 21.8 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Really?

Please, do tell, what paper do you hold up as an example of truck aerodynamics? How does it differ from this? Besides a photoshopped pic, what about his research and methodology makes you think this is a less than valid research paper? You did notice the publication date of this paper is 2009 so the pictures of the recent 2018 Ford weren't available to be egregiously doctored up?
Yes, I live in Lower Michigan, 'beneath' the Mackinaw bridge, so Yoopers refer to us as trolls...

He used an incorrect name on a fictional representation of a pickup truck as a discussion point for his masters thesis. I understand it was written in 2009. I'm not complaining that he used old pictures to show the progression of aerodynamics, I'm complaining that he used wrong names & a fictional picture. Easily corrected, by say, going to Fords website to look at the current models of the time...

Plus, he didn't mention any coefficients of drags for that discussion; Online resources say 0.45 for the 1997 F-150, and ~0.43 for the 2008, and 0.403 for the 'all-new' 2009, so referencing the "2008-2009" model doesn't make sense either.

I really didn't go into the CFD stuff, but it looks like a good approximation.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #85 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
All I'm trying to point out is that in the 8 years I've been thinking about aerodynamics, I've come across a lot of BS and conjecture not based on anything other than a "That just makes sense to me so it must be true." This paper is the only thing I've run across that quantifies how the rear slope affects the Cd and Coefficient of Lift as well. If you think the paper should be ignored because he didn't state the Cd of the current truck or mislabeled a picture than that's you prerogative I guess.

Just point me in the direction of what we should use in its place since this one is crap. Who has written a better one? What do they say?
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
slowmover (02-03-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
I get what SlideWRX is saying. I see it all the time other places like the news as well. These guys want to act so much smarter and more informed and then you see an easy error in something you have expertise in. So you start to question the accuracy of everything else they say that is outside your wheelhouse. I start to assume they don't know ****e about anything.
I think it is misplaced in this instance, but still he's correct in one way. What do you want to bet they got an English major to proofread before publishing. Maybe find a car guy to proofread before publishing a paper that has to do with cars.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Trouble always follows from only having a single source.

Quote:
Quote:
... so Yoopers refer to us as trolls...
But we did learn a little geographical witticism.

Reply  Post New Thread