Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
I'm looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YIU5TI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RA9SXXT GVE9R

Amazon.com: Rola 59834 Mazda 5 Cross Bar: Automotive

Rails and box for under $500 and decent reviews on Amazon. I don't need them right away, but will after another 4-6 months.

I am not too worried about getting the most aero designed rails and box out there. The fuel savings over the initial cost would probably never equal out for as little as it's going to get used.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cavalier of D00M - '05 Pontiac GTO LS2 T56
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)

The New One - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 51.55 mpg (US)

Chick Magnet - '91 Geo Metro 3cyl/5sp
90 day: 48.07 mpg (US)
I just added a roof rack to my 2010 prius
as well as a Thule Weekender

I figure the roof rack is worth about -1 or 2 mpg on open highway
an the roof box is worth about -4 to 5 mpg
(but it wont be on my car all the time)

mine is similar to this
*** Thule cargo box ***

what is your local craigslist?

I'd suggest a full roofrack kit (about $500 new)
Thule or Yakima are both great products

I'd suggest spending no more than necessary for a super smooth looking one since it's just gonna be for occasional use

good luck

1991 Geo Metro 1.0 3/5 base

2010 Prius II (replaced 2001 Tahoe 5.3 V8 April 2014)

1994 F-350 7.3 TurboDiesel (Rollin' Coal)
The Following User Says Thank You to KrautBurner For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cavalier of D00M - '05 Pontiac GTO LS2 T56
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)

The New One - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 51.55 mpg (US)

Chick Magnet - '91 Geo Metro 3cyl/5sp
90 day: 48.07 mpg (US)
complete setup for under $500

SportRack is made by Thule
and it's about 2/3 the price

SR1010 Complete Roof Rack System | SportRack US ($189)
Vista XL | SportRack US ($279)

if you are a costco member,
they sell them thru the costco.com website

1991 Geo Metro 1.0 3/5 base

2010 Prius II (replaced 2001 Tahoe 5.3 V8 April 2014)

1994 F-350 7.3 TurboDiesel (Rollin' Coal)
The Following User Says Thank You to KrautBurner For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
I just added a roof rack to my 2010 prius
as well as a Thule Weekender

I figure the roof rack is worth about -1 or 2 mpg on open highway
an the roof box is worth about -4 to 5 mpg
(but it wont be on my car all the time)

mine is similar to this
*** Thule cargo box ***

what is your local craigslist?

I'd suggest a full roofrack kit (about $500 new)
Thule or Yakima are both great products

I'd suggest spending no more than necessary for a super smooth looking one since it's just gonna be for occasional use

good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautBurner View Post
SportRack is made by Thule
and it's about 2/3 the price

SR1010 Complete Roof Rack System | SportRack US ($189)
Vista XL | SportRack US ($279)

if you are a costco member,
they sell them thru the costco.com website
I borrowed my sister's roof bag and drove home from NJ with it. I got 29 mpg that tank, which is the same I would have got without the bag on top. But, even if I did lose 4-5 mpg, it would leave me at 24ish mpg. Not too considering the only vehicles that can fit the luggage and dogs inside (Suburban, Tahoe, Durango, Excursion, etc) would get much less than that, aside from other minivans. But, most minivans aren't going to touch 30 mpg like our Mazda5 can. This box is only going to be mounted for road trips.

Thanks for the links. The sportrack.com website is about what I am looking for. Nothing too over the top, just something that works. I don't need a super-aero composite rack and box.

I am still looking into bags as well. Amazon has a few with really good reviews for under $100. If it lasts two years and I have to get another one that will last two more years, I am still well under the cost of a rack and box.

Oh, and there are a few name brand, good condition boxes on CL around here for under $150. I will definitely look into them.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Since the Mazda5 isn't intended for any kind of towing, it probably isn't feasible to install a hitch and put an aerodynamically-neutral box in your pressure wake.
Le's think about that, though. What matters in towing is the weight/force, isn't it? So the aerodynamic drag of a roof box would create more drag than a small trailer. I'm talking about motorcycle-sized, of the kind that I had no problems pulling behind an 850 cc Suzuki.

---

Aside on the dogs: I'd suggest looking up the "Plott Hound". Many mid-size brindle dogs get labeled as Pit Bulls or mixes, when they're really Plott Hounds (or something else). They have completely different personalities: mine's a water dog, fascinated by birds, runs at speed for miles, and has the hound-like 'woo woo woo' instead of a bark - yet he came to me from a Pit Bull rescue group. (Another foster failure: I was only supposed to give him a temporary home "just for a week or two" until he could be adopted. That was 3 years ago this April.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogs.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	15113  
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Le's think about that, though. What matters in towing is the weight/force, isn't it? So the aerodynamic drag of a roof box would create more drag than a small trailer. I'm talking about motorcycle-sized, of the kind that I had no problems pulling behind an 850 cc Suzuki.

---

Aside on the dogs: I'd suggest looking up the "Plott Hound". Many mid-size brindle dogs get labeled as Pit Bulls or mixes, when they're really Plott Hounds (or something else). They have completely different personalities: mine's a water dog, fascinated by birds, runs at speed for miles, and has the hound-like 'woo woo woo' instead of a bark - yet he came to me from a Pit Bull rescue group. (Another foster failure: I was only supposed to give him a temporary home "just for a week or two" until he could be adopted. That was 3 years ago this April.)
I really don't think I need a trailer. After thinking about it, that's more maintenance in tires, axle grease, etc. It's not much maintenance, but more than a roof carrier. Plus, the carrier is easier to drive with.

I looked up the Plott Hounds. Very interesting! I think it's common to call anything brindle a pit or boxer mix. According to his adoption paperwork, my older one is a boxer mix, which helped me get a lease or two in an apartment. He hates water, is good at licking himself, doesn’t barking excessively and plays catch the tennis ball and never, ever, ever, under any circumstance, give it back (unless you have second tennis ball to throw him...). He is great with the kids, friendly to strangers, but also protective.

She is still young, but it looks like she is a pretty normal puppy. She doesn't like the tennis ball yet but already stole the older one's bone. He was fine with it since he stole her new bone. She snapped at him when he got close to her food, but I think that is pretty normal. Hopefully she picks up his manners.

Are both of those your dogs? Both are great! It looks like they are enjoying the woods.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

You can buy a receiver hitch for about $150. Then get a cargo carrier that mounts in the receiver hitch like this one:
Amazon.com: TMS T-CCR1948KB Heavy Duty Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler, 2-Inch: Automotive

For $40. (I've never used this particular carrier, but it looks reasonably well made, especially for the price)

Then get some waterproof totes and strap them in when you go. That's well within your $500 budget and keeps your luggage in your wake as well as down low so it's easier to get into it. It does make the rear hatch harder to use though...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (06-02-2014), sarguy01 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Trailer downsides are registration, electrics, extra tires to worry about, parking, theft, etc.

The roof box is much simpler, even with the added frontal area and lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
Are both of those your dogs? Both are great! It looks like they are enjoying the woods.
Yes, both mine. We're out camping with the horses in the South Warner Wilderness (northeastern California). Not the best picture, but they don't hold still for photos. The other one's a Bossy Collie - Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix. Kinda hard to live with, since they have completely opposite personalities: the BC chases tennis balls (but ONLY green tennis balls!), then waits for you to come get it. The brindle chases anything you throw in the water. He runs for miles - look away for a minute, and he might be a quarter mile up a mountainside. The BC gets in front on the trail, and refuses to go faster than a slow trot...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
You can buy a receiver hitch for about $150. Then get a cargo carrier that mounts in the receiver hitch like this one:
Amazon.com: TMS T-CCR1948KB Heavy Duty Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler, 2-Inch: Automotive

For $40. (I've never used this particular carrier, but it looks reasonably well made, especially for the price)

Then get some waterproof totes and strap them in when you go. That's well within your $500 budget and keeps your luggage in your wake as well as down low so it's easier to get into it. It does make the rear hatch harder to use though...
I used a big cargo basket on the Durango. The Mazda hitch is only a 1 1/4", so I need a basket that small. I could always have my dad make a basket out of aluminum, that would save a lot of money.

The only two downsides to the basket is that it acts a lever on the rear suspension and once loaded, I can't open the trunk to let the dogs out. It can turn a little weight into a big load for the axle. Kind of like a pipe on a breaker bar... My old Durango had something like a 9,000 pound towing capacity with a max tongue weight of 500 pounds (I think). One time I had about 300 pounds on the cargo carrier, with only the 70 lb dog in the back and the rear suspension was noticeably lower and it handled a bit different.

I put three bikes on a bike rack on the Mazda5 last year and the suspension sagged as well.

But, having a trailer hitch would open the Mazda up to other options, like a decent bike rack.

Reply  Post New Thread