Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I sure enjoy this thread, and I hope it continues. "Seeing what works" sounds simple, but I get the deep impression that this driver calculates everything very, very carefully when behind the wheel . . . and the only decent comparison is to a big truck (semi) since those loads being carried are a serious impediment to a casual attitude.

Mister, you are obviously good at loading that truck (I drove flatbed, steel coils, pipe and other), and you are obviously good at putting safety first. One cannot afford a single misstep. Economy flows from that, IMO, and the reason I really appreciate your sharing your experiences here is that with all the fine skill improvements you've made as a businessman, and citizen, your taking it a step farther is inspiration to the rest of us.

That's no mean feat for a guy outside in all kinds of weather, with all kinds of loads. The physical tax (being tired) is enough to leave most men behind. No car driver is going to get what it takes just to keep all four wheels on the ground. Road, load, traffic & weather . . . none of it can be ignored, and bad combinations of them have wrecked many of us. Car drivers (four wheelers, in trucker parlance) can remain blithely ignorant of most calculations needed here.

Compared to you, I'm just a slogger. Never had to work my personal truck that hard. I give the truck what it wants, and nothing more. I spec'd it carefully (searching used vehicles) and used what skills I have to minimize ALL costs relative to a desired long, long life. As a company driver one wanted to do well in all aspects, but . . . only the miles counted, and insecure loads, questionable re-cap tires, etc, etc, keep many from staying on top of it all. Fuel economy was/is way down the scale in most operations for most non-owner drivers.

I've left out consideration of rules/laws in saying the above (a three ton bed load exceeds any one-ton manufacturer rating), but we've all done 15 mph across town with too much onboard and hope to never have to actually stop. The spirit of the law comes first.

Hope your trailer[s] are up to it (for others: towing isn't simple or straightforward, unfortunately, but the basics are sound; maintaining steer axle load is the gist of proper hitch rigging; PM me and I can send links if you want; my interest is in high fuel mileage for highway travel, not loading per se.)

Have you ever scaled the truck, no load (but fuel and usual tools) or did I miss it? Are tires/wheels stock size, and, what brand/load range of skins are on there?

Somehow I think you've made this a game (being complimentary here), as a way of keeping the mind sharp on a dusty, blistery set of loads. I salute it. I have an idea of what it costs, and I would enjoy riding with you on a workday as I'd be learnin', learnin'. That truck did a good job of choosing you.

(The adaptation of the tonneau cover on a rack is what prompts this, that was one cool "solution".)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Hey Slowmover, I never noticed your post before.

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback.

To a large extent I am just "seeing what works", as far as mods have gone. Nearly all of "my" ideas have originated right here on ecomodder, (while avoiding the heavily disputed things like adjusting air intake temperature or gimmicks that violate the laws of thermodynamics like hydro generators). I let everyone else's experience here serve as my test bed. Thank Mallomar for the internet!

But, yes, when actually behind the wheel I pay very close attention.
I drive a 2.5 ton truck, and I want to not run over anybody even more than I want good mileage. I caused a bad traffic accident once in my youth (flipped a midsize pickup with my Civic hatchback) and that forever cured me of reckless driving and speeding. Luckily, the same behavior that keeps me and those around me safe also improves mileage more than any other change (slowing down). So it works out. I try to scan ahead a couple blocks at all times, and smooth out the stops and starts of the random untimed lights in my city. It is frustrating when it fails, fun when successful.

The loads, as crazy as they look, are surprisingly secure. I hold everything down with ratchet straps, just like you'd use on a flat bed (only smaller). I take about 5 minutes to strap everything loose down, larger items to the outside twice, and double check it all. Then, for especially large trips, I stop after driving a couple blocks to re-test in case anything has settled from moving. A little extra time and attention, and two trips becomes just one trip.

I see all the thought it takes to drive (large truck, manual transmission, plus hypermiling with frequent EOC) makes the entire driving process much more entertaining, and the challenge of maximizing mileage takes the place of the challenge of driving at the limits of control and street racing that I used to do pre-accident. It keeps me paying attention to something which is potentially deadly, but with AT, stereos, A/C, smooth suspension, cell phones, etc, is all to easy to start to forget the seriousness of it.

For me, starting at 15mpg and almost doubling it to 30, given the miles I drive and the cost of biodiesel, I'm looking at saving $1500 a year. At mileage around 7, even a 1mpg increase means saving around $5000 per year (per truck). I read on this board about a long haul trucking company that rewarded the driver with the best mileage each year (or was it quarter?) with a brand new Harley. From a purely self-interested economic standpoint it doesn't make sense for mileage to be so far down the list. A driver isn't going to go fast enough by speeding to cover an additional $5000 worth of miles.

The ratings of "3/4 ton", "1-ton" etc don't really refer to capacities, they are just classes. They got their names back when pick-ups were first invented and they just stuck, even as cargo capacity increased. A "1-ton" truck can actually carry alot more than a ton.
I'm not saying I have never exceeded the trucks limit (but I'm not saying I have, either ) but nothing close to 3 times over!

The truck weighs 5500 with no load, but driver, tools, etc. It gets weighed empty everytime I go to the dump, so they know what to charge me (or the recycler, so they know what to pay me).
I'm not sure if the wheels are stock size. They are what was on it when I bought it (3rd hand, at least). The tires are 235/85R16, 3000lbs each - the fender will rub the tire before I go over the tire's weight rating.

I'd say your assessment in the end is pretty accurate.
I'm am honored and encouraged by your suggestion that you could learn by riding with me.
As it happens, I have been toying with the idea of creating a "efficient driving" class recently. Once I have a little more time, I think I'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i agree with slow mover i think you could teach a lot to us younger folk and i applaud you
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '03 nissan 350z touring
90 day: 36.21 mpg (US)

Diniro - '18 Kia Niro Ex
90 day: 47.99 mpg (US)
lowering rpm's

Just wondering about your tire size. Going to a taller skinny tire would bring your rpm's down overall. what do you think? Roy Blackwood Glovertown Nfld
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #65 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by royanddoreen View Post
Just wondering about your tire size. Going to a taller skinny tire would bring your rpm's down overall. what do you think? Roy Blackwood Glovertown Nfld
He claims to need his lowest gear to climb mountains, that would affect his gearing the same as a rear end gear up.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by will88 View Post
i agree with slow mover i think you could teach a lot to us younger folk and i applaud you
How old do yall think I am?

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
He claims to need his lowest gear to climb mountains, that would affect his gearing the same as a rear end gear up.

Cheers
Ryan
To climb mountains (err... really big hills) with a ton or two of material in the back.
I still claim that someday I'll put in a 4+L transmission to replace my current 3+L which has no overdrive.
But between driving 45-50mph highway and P&G so the engine is off nearly half the time, I wonder if RPMs will still make a significant difference.

Quote:

Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
What about the 6 speeds? Would they bolt up?

And what about a turbo setup for the 6.9? My dads 86 F350 6.9 has a banks setup.

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
What about the 6 speeds? Would they bolt up?

And what about a turbo setup for the 6.9? My dads 86 F350 6.9 has a banks setup.
From what I've heard, they will, but only with modifications and adapters. The 5spd is a direct bolt-in replacement, same lengths, same tooth patterns on the driveshaft end, easy.

I would do a turbo, but there are so many things to spend money on...

Quote:

Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
How old do yall think I am?
well im only 21 im pretty sure your a bit older than me lol no disrespect was intended