Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohandy View Post
What's the advantage to covering the fog lights?
The sunken-in fog lights cause turbulence, covering them fixes that. Not a huge gain, but every little bit helps.

For the rear, I'm thinking of making a tail similar to a Trailer Tail. Should be pretty light and hopefully able to make it retract and deploy on the go to keep it safe in traffic and when parked.

I managed to average 32MPG over 2500 miles while I was home. Most of that was cruising at 70-75MPH with the AC. The only current mods are 44PSI in the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires and I removed the roof racks. I'm confident that 40MPG tanks should be reachable with some minor modding and fairly "normal" driving.

I have given my wife the MPG bug. She isn't as crazy about it as me, but she now has the Ultragauge installed to help her see what's good and what's bad. She should be able to maintain the 32MPG average.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
UltArc (06-30-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
There are a couple good LRR tires available that will fit the Escape. That could help you pick up a couple mpg. Check out the Bridgestone H/L Dueler 422 Ecopia and the Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max. I hear the Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus is good too.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've been reading some reviews of LRR tires on Tirerack, and they don't paint a pretty picture. However, most of the reviewers only have a few thousand miles or less on the tires, so they have to be taken with a grain of salt (likely because the tires are so new/ever changing). The current tires have about 75% tread left, but they have some weather cracks. I probably won't replace them for at least a year. I'll wait til then to do more research and look for reviews on forums of them on Escapes.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thought I would post a little update since there's not much info on Escape Hybrids here.

It currently has 137,000 miles. My wife is managing to maintain a 32MPG average. She's not really trying to hypermile, but she is at least aware and tries to keep the MPGs up most of the time. Only mods are still just a roof rack crossbar delete and 40-44PSI in the tires (my dad filled them to 44 last week, they were down to 40 from not being filled since June).

I got a Scangauge II and OBD-II port splitter. The Scangauge and Ultragauge appear to play nice with each other from the quick test my wife did. Unfortunately, unless I can convince her that programming x-gauges is fun, it'll probably have to wait until I get home in January. I'll be able to have a total of 10 gauges visible at a time. The ultragauge will still display the normal car stuff like instant mileage and RPM, and I'll use the scangauge for some hybrid specific gauges.

Now to the less good news. The MECS pump, which circulates the coolant for the motors and electronics, died a couple months ago. Was about $300 for a new one from the dealer, but it was an easy install. They're available online for less than $200, but we couldn't afford to wait. The old one appeared to be original, so it lasted longer than average from what I've read. Then the 12v battery decided to die a few weeks ago. It too appeared to be original, which seems to be about average or maybe even longer than most.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Escape - '10 Ford Escape Hybrid

Accord - '02 Honda Accord SE ULEV
I just found this forum today. My wife and I drive a 2010 Escape hybrid 4WD. I haven't done anything to it yet, but I have a few thoughts. We had a FWD one prior to this that was rear ended and totaled because the battery was cracked in the accident and the insurance company said that ford said it was $9,500 to replace with a new one !!!!!!!!!!!! The FWD version we had was getting about 31 mpg average. It had tires with not much tread life left. Now with the 4WD version with new, non LRR tires we are getting about 28 mpg. I'm trying to figure out what else I can do to bump up that mpg. I just put in a K&N filter to hopefully help it breathe easier. Also I have been keeping the tire pressure up around 40psi.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewitmer View Post
I just put in a K&N filter to hopefully help it breathe easier. Also I have been keeping the tire pressure up around 40psi.
The K&N won't help MPG one bit. My advise is to go back to paper if you want the best filtration. It's more effort to maintain the K&N properly, as too much/too little oil on the filter can cause problems. It probably won't matter much one way or the other, but I plan to go back to paper on my motorcycle the next time I dig into it.

A grill block and roof rack delete is likely the easiest/best mods.

Now that I'm seeing this thread, I'm considering a hybrid Escape myself. Any typical problem areas or years to be aware of? Are there better alternatives to the 4x4 Escape hybrid?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 3MPG difference between the FWD and AWD is about right. I've been running 44PSI in my non-LRR tires since I bought it, seems to help negate the non-LRR. I would suggest getting a Scangauge II to keep an eye on the hybrid goodies (also handy for diagnosing any problems you might have).

redpoint - There really are no alternatives that will get the same mileage, especially in city. They're very reliable vehicles. The only sketchy year would be the first, 2005, but to be honest, most of the issues with them have probably been fixed by now (through recalls or parts failing and being replaced by the revised versions). There are many that were used as taxis that have over 300k miles and are still running strong. There's even one owned by a security company that recently hit 500k. The most common failures are the MECS pump (circulates coolant for the motor controller, transaxle, and DC-DC converter), the battery blend door motor, HV battery cooling fans, and the 12v battery dying of old age (seriously, it makes the Escape do some funky things til its replaced). All these parts are under $300 a piece if you can install them yourself, none are very difficult.

Mine currently has 145k miles. I've unfortunately had to replace the MECS pump, battery cooling fans, and the 12v battery in the time I've had mine. Everything looked original, though, so it should be good for at least 5 years.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
When I was in Germany and Afghanistan, my friend was always talking about the Escape hybrid that she had back home, and now that she is out of the Army, she drives that around, and still talks about it often.

She gets about the same mileage that I do driving Bacon.

Lukewitmer, does the K&N filter still attach to the original intake or just sit in your engine compartment on its own? People who try to make their vehicles faster often go for the K&N and a cold-air intake, but if the K&N is pulling in air from the engine compartment, you actually have a hot-air intake, which people around here like for fuel efficiency, but I doubt that is the best way to do it.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Mine currently has 145k miles. I've unfortunately had to replace the MECS pump, battery cooling fans, and the 12v battery in the time I've had mine. Everything looked original, though, so it should be good for at least 5 years.
Thought I would post a little update on the Escape. I sold it to my parents almost 6 years ago after getting the Prius. It currently has 230k miles and is still returning upper 20s with mixed driving without them really trying, which is comparable to similar new vehicles. The only major repair it's needed was the AC compressor a couple years ago. It's also had the blend door motor replaced (common issue, pretty cheap and easy to replace), the 12v battery I put in when I owned it gave up the ghost last winter, and I think my dad finally got around to replacing all the struts (they've been clunking like mad for years).

Not too bad for Ford's first hybrid. I would say they're one of the best options for someone who needs a good amount of cargo capacity and mileage without spending a lot. There are newer small CUVs/SUVs that can match or beat its mileage, but I don't know of anything that can really compete on price.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (10-10-2019), Xist (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
The Lexus RX series had always appealed to me... if I wanted an SUV. I did consider buying the Escape hybrid from Oregon fleet back in the day when they sold surplus on Ebay. Sadly I'm not on dirt roads enough to justify such a thing these days.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread