Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '99 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 37.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Sounds like a reasonable and patient plan. I'm sure you'll figure this out more easily than I could, but good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
+1 ^^
Thanks!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blow stuff up

S2000 - '03 Honda S2000
Team Honda
90 day: 24.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHatch View Post
I really believe it's the A/C. It's frustrating because he's disappointed in the results, since some here have seen MPG in the 60+ with this conversion. His mileage is no worse than the old D15B6, and he now has a newer engine with half the miles of the old one and 20 more HP when needed. Even with the same mileage the overall improvement of the vehicle is there. I know the real gains won't be seen unless he changes his habits, but old habits die hard... ya know?
Totally agree. I have a lead foot. Trust me though- the driving habits make quite a bit of difference, especially with that engine- since lean burn is when it gets the best economy.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Don't forget, the HF did have a pretty stellar EPA rating, the VX's improvement mainly come in the form of power, not so much in FE. This might be an issue of not knowing how to drive the VX as well as it could be driven.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Some thoughts. Make sure the system is not overcharged, more work for no gain. Try to get Dad to use max AC plus recirculate with lowest tolerable fan speeds. Best method is to use the compressor when you must decelerate so the lost energy is converted to cold evaporator temps. Recirculate is the key to cooler air with lower energy cost since once you get the humidity out the air is much easier to keep cool. Cycling the compressor on and off may be too much work for Pop but it would also help to improve mileage. You may find that the mileage he is getting is not that far off from the best you can expect unless you really concentrate on efficient driving and best AC use strategy.

regards
Mech
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '99 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 37.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky.buddha
Totally agree. I have a lead foot. Trust me though- the driving habits make quite a bit of difference, especially with that engine- since lean burn is when it gets the best economy.
I guess we'll have to teach him some new habits then! I bet if I told him some basics of driving with FE in mind, made it a game kinda, and he got good mileage on one tank, he'd be hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Don't forget, the HF did have a pretty stellar EPA rating, the VX's improvement mainly come in the form of power, not so much in FE. This might be an issue of not knowing how to drive the VX as well as it could be driven.
This is very true. Getting the same FE as before, but with 20 more HP and a healthier motor overall isn't such a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Some thoughts. Make sure the system is not overcharged, more work for no gain. Try to get Dad to use max AC plus recirculate with lowest tolerable fan speeds. Best method is to use the compressor when you must decelerate so the lost energy is converted to cold evaporator temps. Recirculate is the key to cooler air with lower energy cost since once you get the humidity out the air is much easier to keep cool. Cycling the compressor on and off may be too much work for Pop but it would also help to improve mileage. You may find that the mileage he is getting is not that far off from the best you can expect unless you really concentrate on efficient driving and best AC use strategy.

regards
Mech

I'll try to explain that to him... see if he believes it or not.

In other news, his last tank was 48.8MPG, and he says he used the AC for about "a third" of the tank. Sigh... At least I know it's now equal to the best he ever got before, and the best he ever got before was with no AC in the spring.

And just to pacify the non-believers out there:

Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHatch View Post
And just to pacify the non-believers out there:

The best honda body with the best honda engine... your dad will only HYPO-mile and still he's pulling near 49 in combined driving. So basically with circa 1990 technology and hardware you beat many of the hybrids and kept all the comforts. Hook up an aux line for MP3s and your cell phone, this is an enviable build.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Thats a really nice Ronda,most of the CRXs here have disolved unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maybe lose the mudflaps?
JJ
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Sharp car, superhatch! Nice work on the swap.

Get an MPGuino in there if you really want to be able to tweak your steady state/cruising mpg. In the event you can't feel the lean burn transitions, the numbers on the display will tell you fairly clearly whether you're in or out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The best honda body with the best honda engine...
Second best Honda engine! (I'm really impressed with the motor in the gen. 1 Insight - and I've been driving it without hybrid assist since I got it.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Second best Honda engine! (I'm really impressed with the motor in the gen. 1 Insight - and I've been driving it without hybrid assist since I got it.)
Haha! I was not thinking at all about the Insight first generation, which definitely has the better body too. Love the "UFO". But for a gasser, superhatch's swap with the CRX is pretty brilliant. I envy.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
WD40 (04-17-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread