Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Kelly Controls has controllers that meet the specs of the motor, so the controller part is already figured out. And yes this would be fairly universal, if you had a sensor to splice into to stop the engine, and space to put the battery pack. The install itself would be like an alternator replacement, plus hooking up the start-stop and DC-DC converter.

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Techie_Stirlingite For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-18-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Code:
[QUOTE=The_Techie_Stirlingite;659126]
...doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Techie_Stirlingite
As far as control, an Arduino microcontroller board would be plugged into the OBDII port, a relay acting as an automated kill switch, the brake light switch on the pedal, and the motor controller.
I know nothing about the Arduino microcontroller.
Quote:
Introduction to the Arduino Programming Language
https://flaviocopes.com › arduino-programming-language
The Arduino Programming Language is basically a framework built on top of C++. You can argue that it's not a real programming language in the traditional term, but I think this helps avoiding confusion for beginners. A program written in the Arduino Programming Language is called sketch.
Any chance the work is transposable to the Python language and the ARM processor? I found this but it doesn't answer the question. www.notebookcheck.net/Arduino-and-Raspberry-An-Overview-Over-Single-Board-Computers.

Perhaps the Arduino could be an interface between CANBus and a full-blown UI for the vehicle. Will this be a plug-n-play commercial product, or an open source Instructable?

Old 11-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Freebeard, this is just something I was going to test and see if it's feasible. No plans for commercialization.

As far as the RasPi goes, I have 3 RasPis and honestly think they would be MASSIVE overkill.
One does not need a 1-GHz CPU, a graphical OS, or Wi-Fi to run a motor controller and interface with a vehicle. In this application the Raspi would be more trouble than it is worth, having to load an entire OS before the hybrid system would work.

With an Arduino, the code loads quickly at power-on of the vehicle ignition, and the system would be able to run a quick self-check (blipping the assist while simultaneously watching engine RPM to check the motor/controller functioning) before the 12V starter kicks off the engine. The system ECU may not even have to shutdown when the car was off, since Arduino draws so little energy.
By contrast, the ARM CPU of the RasPi is a power monster that would drain the 12V battery quite rapidly with the ignition off. It would have to shutdown completely, and then startup again (10-20 seconds bootup time.)

As for a UI, the hybrid ECU could run a Scangauge-esque character LCD showing the vitals of the hybrid system (an idle-stop indicator, "charge <-----> assist" bars, hybrid battery state-of-charge, etc.)

Last edited by The_Techie_Stirlingite; 11-18-2021 at 09:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Techie_Stirlingite For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fair enough. I saw that coming enough to suggest interfacing the two. Scanning DDG links suggests under 2 seconds for a headless install.

I hadn't until this moment considered this for my XFi. Maybe someone will take an interest, sometimes the choice of subforum can make a difference. For instance this could go in DIY/How-to.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModder returning

I'm really surprised that some small company isn't making a bolt-on application, maybe even in the 12v range without a starting function. Simple, like old Mercedes, a button switch under the gas peddle when in need of some extra power and a deceleration auto regenerate function when braking. And, I know, that does more for saving brakes than regenerating batteries. Historical, especially, alternators are so interchangable it's almost a natural to make one generator/motor with a few different bolt holes and a few different pulleys. Please let me know if any of you guys see such a thing for 12v, older GM friendly vehicles. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2024, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Please let me know if any of you guys see such a thing for 12v, older GM friendly vehicles.
Did so at permalink #7. GM eAssist shipped on 12V vehicles but has an additional battery pack. From Permalink #7 in that thread:
Quote:
At the LA Auto Show, on November 15, 2010, General Motors announced that it would be releasing an all-new version of the BAS system available in the 2012 Buick LaCrosse.[8] While still a Belted Alternator Starter system, the system is named eAssist and includes a larger more powerful Hitachi-supplied[citation needed] 115 Volt Lithium Ion battery and a 15 kW (20 hp) motor-generator that delivers 79 lb·ft (107 N·m) of torque.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Serva View Post
I'm really surprised that some small company isn't making a bolt-on application
Makes me wonder why Fueltech, which is no longer small, didn't seem to try venturing into control modules for hybrids too.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
diy hybrid, e-charger, electric assist, mild hybrid