Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2023, 03:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissandriver View Post
AMD Ryzens have often been more efficient than Intels over the last 3-4 years. You could not say that about the several years preceding that. I'm drawing 65 watts from the wall receptacle from my Ryzen 2400G computer, 43" 4K TV, and cable modem while browsing this website. Intel's integrated graphics suck compared to igpu in the Ryzen G cpus.
Interesting development.

AMD had always been lagging Intel transistor process size, but I just Googled and AMD is now at 5nm while Intel is at 10nm.

From what I'm reading, AMD is more power efficient under load, while Intel is more efficient under idle conditions.

I'll have to reconsider my component picks for the next build. That said, I have a need for efficient h.264 and h.265 encoding/decoding, and Intel's QuickSync is designed to handle that in an efficient way. My requirements are mostly that, and efficient idling. Would be nice to have the option to game, but that represents a small percentage of 24/7 operation.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Interesting development.

AMD had always been lagging Intel transistor process size, but I just Googled and AMD is now at 5nm while Intel is at 10nm.

From what I'm reading, AMD is more power efficient under load, while Intel is more efficient under idle conditions.

I'll have to reconsider my component picks for the next build. That said, I have a need for efficient h.264 and h.265 encoding/decoding, and Intel's QuickSync is designed to handle that in an efficient way. My requirements are mostly that, and efficient idling. Would be nice to have the option to game, but that represents a small percentage of 24/7 operation.
If a person's main goal is efficiency, then Apple Silicon is currently king. Of course, that's an entirely different animal.

I'm running an efficient, 12th gen Intel Core i5 on a 300W PSU.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,616 Times in 7,097 Posts
This message comes from a Raspberry Pi 4 that uses 3 Amps at 5 Volts (IIRC 15 Watts).

The new Pi 5 requires a 5 Watt supply, because it how has a PCIe connector. OTOH, it has Power over Ethernet in addition to the USB-C power.

The Mac Mini is not world-facing because I foolishly installed Norton Antivirus on it, and that came with a lot of baggage that I don't trust. Asahi Linux is still on the way.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This message comes from a Raspberry Pi 4 that uses 3 Amps at 5 Volts (IIRC 15 Watts).

The new Pi 5 requires a 5 Watt supply, because it how has a PCIe connector. OTOH, it has Power over Ethernet in addition to the USB-C power.
I have a Pi 3 and a Pi 4. I'm using the Pi 4 as a MIDI controller. I had ordered the Pi 3 a long time ago and when it finally came in I had the Pi 4.

However, I'm looking for a tiny form factor way of sending data over shortwave using the VARA protocol. I can use my Surface Windows tablet along with a modem (external sound card). But that's bulky and takes up a lot of space. I'm looking into putting together a (tr)uSDX tranceiver that can take CAT controls over USB (as in "universal serial bus", not to be confused with "upper side band.") I can run VARA on Linux, so maybe that would a project for the Pi-3. But I am hoping there's a way, or will be a way, of running VARA on an Android phone. I can already run data to HF/VHF code on Android, but don't have a good way of using the VARA protocol without something external like a Linux or Windows computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Mac Mini is not world-facing because I foolishly installed Norton Antivirus on it, and that came with a lot of baggage that I don't trust. Asahi Linux is still on the way.
Generally I don't see the point of any thrid party antivirus software with only a few exceptions. Usually the antivirus that Apple, Windows or Google hands out is good enough for the average user, especially if you avoid shady websites and don't open emails you're not 100% sure of where they came from.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the 1990s I [phone] supported Norton Utilities for Symantec. The Mac product was mainly for data recovery, with the Norton Disk Editor for when Norton Disk Doctor failed. I could go into the boot blocks with it when I forgot my password.

The Utilities accommodated HFS+, but never was updated for OS X's big changes. Once the newer Mac couldn't boot under OS 9 it was all over. I also spent a year and a half in the Windows queue, coaching people on editing their own Registry, over the phone. No remote access, never lost a patient.

Now it's bundled with hduckduckgo.com/?q=Norton+Lifelock&ia=web. Name should have warned me. Now I don't even trust the uninstaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
https://raspberrytips.com › android-raspberry-pi-4
How to Install Android on Raspberry Pi in 2023 (+Play Store)
To install Android on a Raspberry Pi, a custom image is required, since Google doesn't have any version available for the Raspberry Pi. Additionally, accessing the Play Store requires a custom Google Apps build.

https://magpi.raspberrypi.com › articles › android-raspberry-pi
Running Android on a Raspberry Pi — The MagPi magazine
Installing Google Android on a Raspberry Pi has never been easier. Discover how to install Android and run Android apps on your $35 Raspberry Pi computer. The Raspberry Pi has been used in many different ways over the years by many different people, but installing Android or a Raspberry Pi has always presented a challenge.

https://konstakang.com › devices › rpi4 › AOSP13
AOSP (Android 13) for Raspberry Pi 4 - KonstaKANG
Jun 15, 2023Here's my build of AOSP (Android 13) for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Pi 400, and Compute Module 4. It's for advanced users only. Pi 4 model with at least 2GB of RAM is required to run this build. Important!
It doesn't get much smaller than the Compute Module 4.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-28-2023 at 04:01 PM..
Old 10-28-2023, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
If a person's main goal is efficiency, then Apple Silicon is currently king. Of course, that's an entirely different animal.

I'm running an efficient, 12th gen Intel Core i5 on a 300W PSU.
I need Winders because that's what the software I run is built for.

I'm keeping an eye out for 200-400 watt PSUs, but it seems like they only want to sell 800-1000w. Way overkill for someone trying to operate a PSU efficiently.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (10-29-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I can't imagine software not being cross-platform, but there it is. If it's FOSS you could fork it. Oh well, anyways....

www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-now-officially-supports-running-windows-11-on-apple-silicon-macs
Quote:
Home News Operating Systems
Microsoft Now Officially Supports Running Windows 11 on Apple Silicon Macs
Microsoft posts support documents that validate the ability to run Windows 11 on Macs with Apple silicon M1 and M2 CPUs.

Michael Muchmore -- By Michael Muchmore
February 16, 2023 -- (Credit: PCMag/Microsoft/Apple)

Microsoft today published a support page that shows how Mac users can run Windows 11 on their Apple silicon M1- and M2-powered Macs.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,402 Posts
What are we considering a computer? Laptop, desktop, tablet, phone - all of the above?

I haven't owned a desktop for more than 30 years so those are out. For laptops my wife and I got a Macbook when we first got married and used it for about 8 years with no issues. We replaced that with an HP chromebook that I used for 7 years until it no longer got updates. It was replaced with another HP Chromebook which I'm typing on now. For CAD and photo editing I have a Dell 6800 engineering laptop that is about 10 years old and that I bought used for a fraction of the original cost.

Phones - I generally buy a 1 year old flagship and then use it for 2 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
What are we considering a computer?
Anything bigger than a microcontroller. CPU memory and storage.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m3...wToT6oYIjuFi2n

The only difference with your desktop, laptop and phone are the display.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Perhaps you neglected ancillary access ports? Or do you successfully daisy chain the usb and use either wifi or bluetooth? Don't know how far you can push those for connectivity. Maybe 2 on wifi and so far 5 on bluetooth but in their own partition

My phone has more compute power that I had at the city of Bakersfield data operations center, but if I connect it to more than a couple external devices it gets stupid, slow and sometimes hangs. Had a thousand users at the data center but phone doesn't have that front end system. Not supposed to, I guess.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 10-29-2023 at 10:15 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread