Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2024, 12:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Oh, and I resented the fact that Apple tried so hard to indorenate impressionable youth, from as early as I have memories, until today. All computers I interreacted with in school were "generously provided" by Apple, which explains why some people still use expensive things that restrict their use.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2024, 10:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Oh, and I resented the fact that Apple tried so hard to indorenate impressionable youth, from as early as I have memories, until today. All computers I interreacted with in school were "generously provided" by Apple, which explains why some people still use expensive things that restrict their use.
Not so much in the Cal state system, the business oriented stuff, which was predominant used microsoft exclusively. We had an "Apple lab" with 20 machines. I think it was a price based decision, or the fact the microsoft stuff communicated with the big mainframes through the coax in the back, the apple stuff lacked that feature.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Oh, and I resented the fact that Apple tried so hard to indorenate[sic] impressionable youth, from as early as I have memories, until today.
Had you not been resentful, you might not misspell 'indorenate'.

I looked for a reference, but it's been scrubbed from many sources.
www.npr.org/2011/10/09/141186979/computers-in-class-another-legacy-of-steve-jobs
Quote:
Apple helped pioneer the use of computers in schools back in the 1980s with the graphical interface of the Macintosh. These days, it's the iPad that's the hot trend in education and Jobs' education legacy is growing with the popularity of mobile devices in the classroom.
It didn't start with Macintosh, but the Apple ][. I worked for a software company that provided educational software in 1980.

Wired has the complete list that started with the ][e and included the eMate 300, Power Mac G3 All-in-one and the eMac but you can't read the article without subscribing.

Long story short, without Jobs schools would have taken a generation to introduce their students to computers.

Old 08-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #64 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Had you not been resentful, you might not misspell 'indorenate'.
Chrome has a bad spell correction system. Brave is even worse. It's the price I pay for using slightly fewer Google products.

Quote:
It didn't start with Macintosh, but the Apple ][. I worked for a software company that provided educational software in 1980...

Long story short, without Jobs schools would have taken a generation to introduce their students to computers.
Our school had two Apple 2s. For "computer time", the 2 of us left regular classroom instruction and spent an hour with either Swashbuckler, or Oregon Trail. There were 50 other programs on floppies that we never seemed to get around to.

By middle school, I was playing Bolo on the LAN (my first LAN experience), and downloading Pamela Anderson Baywatch photos.

I didn't learn how to use a computer until my poor Dad dropped $3,000 on a Pentium 100, 16MB RAM, 1GB HD, 15" color monitor, and Win95. I learned by breaking stuff and having to figure out how to fix it.

Old 08-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
$3,000 on a Pentium 100
That's more than I paid for a 128K Macintosh. It lasted me for 9 years until it was stolen. How long did that Pentium last? It sounds like you learned repair rather than use.

My son was exposed to, but didn't take up, programming {with a program I no longer remember the name of) on that Macintosh. It use a method of dragging and connecting tiles to create programs. Turtle graphics IIRC.

That's the same method that Blender uses today with it's node editors to structure Python programming. I can't write Python, but I can muddle my way through node editing.

Quote:
Introduction - Blender 4.2 Manual - Blender Documentation
Blender contains different node-based editors with different purposes, so this section only explains how to work with nodes in general. The list below shows the different types of nodes and where they're documented. Example of a node editor. Used for procedural modeling. Used to create

Last edited by freebeard; 08-20-2024 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: corrected the hyperlink
Old 08-20-2024, 04:35 PM   #66 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's more than I paid for a 128K Macintosh. It lasted me for 9 years until it was stolen. How long did that Pentium last? It sounds like you learned repair rather than use.
I upgraded it to 32MB RAM at some point. About 4 years later I pieced together my own Pentium II 266MHz rig, running Win98 SE, and upgraded to Win98 SE on the Pentium 100 too. I used the "old" PC as a gateway to the internet, since it was the one with a 56.6kbps modem and a phone line. Whenever my PC called for WAN access, it would connect to that Pentium over LAN and prompt it to dial automatically (our ISP was the local library, which owned something like 90 modems).

As I built new rigs, my old ones would become my parents PC. We probably had that Pentium from 1995 until around 2003. Hard to recall exactly what I had built and later passed on to my parents. They're currently running an old Ion mini-PC, similar to the NUC formfactor. Suits all their needs, so probably no replacement needed for a few more years.

I still need a mobo/CPU/RAM for my next build. Hate to spend good money on a gen 13 Intel chip (all the best sales are on gen 12, but I don't want that old) when they are releasing a major overhaul this fall.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 08:35 PM   #67 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Now Chromebooks are being "generously provided" by Google to schools. This does have a big effect on the future of what people buy down the road.

Reply  Post New Thread