Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
JacobAziza -

I have an analogy when I am cruising in the far right lane. I am a boulder in a river. The rest of the river (of cars) is just flowing around me. as long as I am steady-state in terms of speed, there isn't a problem. It's easy for them to pass on by.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
LurkoModding Ecker

new beetle - '98 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)
Minimum Speed Laws

This is an interesting discussion, it prompted me to look up the law here in arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Vehicle Code
28-704. Minimum speed limits; requirement to turn off roadway

A. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

B. If the director or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the director or local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which a person shall not drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

C. If a person is driving a vehicle at a speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place on a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe, and if five or more vehicles are formed in a line behind the vehicle, the person shall turn the vehicle off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the director or a local authority, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed.
Jacob this one is for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
Minimum Speed Law

22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.

Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles subject to registration.
Amended Ch. 364, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.

Quote:
When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarycortex View Post
Jacob this one is for you.
Oh yes, I have seen that a bunch of times by now.

The way I read it, nothing above the speed limit can be considered "reasonable", as it is not "in compliance with law" which would mean impeding someone who is speeding would not violate that provision.
However, even that is moot, because on a 5 lane highway it is impossible to impede anyone at any speed. You could drive as slow as you wanted, and everyone could easily go around you.
I live in the city. There are no 2 lane highways around here.

I realised something else since I first posted to: The speed limit for trucks (and autos with trailers) is actually 55, not 65. Light trucks are exempt, but my truck actually weighs over the limit and is therefor legally a commercial truck.
Which means the 50mph I normally drive at is only 5 mph under the legal limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post

In some states, it's against the law to pass on the right while on a highway. I'm all for hypermilling, but if you're going to do it, you need to do it safely and follow all of the current laws and have highway courtesy.

Also, accidents are all about speed differences. Two cars driving at each other at 40mph, will do more damage than two cars who bump into each other, with one traveling 70mph and the other at 65mph in the same direction.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm View Post
In some states, it's against the law to pass on the right while on a highway. I'm all for hypermilling, but if you're going to do it, you need to do it safely and follow all of the current laws and have highway courtesy.
The vast majority do.

This might be a new topic for you - that's alright.

The ones screaming about danger are generally the speeders, so their lecturing on safety is like Jimmy Swaggart on fidelity.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
I didn't have a problem with following the speed limit this morning
Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
The vast majority do.

This might be a new topic for you - that's alright.

The ones screaming about danger are generally the speeders, so their lecturing on safety is like Jimmy Swaggart on fidelity.
I'm not clear what you're saying.

Are you implying that it's okay to criticize one group of law breakers while you break another law to suit your own needs?

And before you criticize me, you should know that I drove to work this morning in the right-hand lane, at the posted speed limit. Thus allowing those who choose to speed, the right to do so.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:

Are you implying that it's okay to criticize one group of law breakers while you break another law to suit your own needs?

And before you criticize me, you should know that I drove to work this morning in the right-hand lane, at the posted speed limit. Thus allowing those who choose to speed, the right to do so.
Uh, this seems backwards.

Why so defensive when a hypermiler states that the vast majority drive safely? Why?

Typically I'm doing 50 in a freeway posted 60 at non rush hour times. There are 2-3 lanes to the left of me. Seems like you are saying doing 50 in a 60 at 6am is breaking the law and narcassistic and breaking a law I'm unaware of while drivers speeding at 70-75 in any lane they please are law abiding. Explain your "logic" - including speeding while law-abiding.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with your ride as described, so I'm puzzled as to your issue with mine.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:

I think you are confused about the definition of "right" in the USA. There is no "right" to speed. There isn't even a "right" to drive.

There is ability, but ability and rights do not go hand in hand.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Flyer View Post
Uh, this seems backwards.

Why so defensive when a hypermiler states that the vast majority drive safely? Why?

Typically I'm doing 50 in a freeway posted 60 at non rush hour times. There are 2-3 lanes to the left of me. Seems like you are saying doing 50 in a 60 at 6am is breaking the law and narcassistic and breaking a law I'm unaware of while drivers speeding at 70-75 in any lane they please are law abiding. Explain your "logic" - including speeding while law-abiding.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with your ride as described, so I'm puzzled as to your issue with mine.
Not defensive. You're reading more into what I'm saying. I'm also not sure where I criticized "your ride". I don't know you, nor do I know anything about "your ride". Seems you're just looking for an argument.

I acknowledged that speeders are law-breakers, not law-abiders.

If you're driving BELOW the speed limit, as this poster was, and not in the right hand lane, then anyone driving THE SPEED LIMIT in that lane, has to switch over two lanes to legally pass you, or break the law and pass you on the right. As you said, most states have a law to not pass on the right. It appears the original poster is not familiar with this law, or would understand my concern with the sticker on the back of the truck.

Last edited by jasonm; 05-13-2009 at 04:00 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread