Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
psh - they know it!

All I had was 6 days of security officer training. They get 6 months of academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The biggest issue with speed cameras is a matter of cost/revenue.

The inital cost will be recovered with no problem, however, comfort levels of revenue after that cost will not be very high, given that when/if people stop speeding, the speed cameras no longer create income.

Therefore, they are only as cost effective as the amount of income they could generate immediately, but then not so much.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
psh - they know it!

All I had was 6 days of security officer training. They get 6 months of academy.
And yet, there are many laws that they still don't fully know. Open carry laws, for one.

Knife laws in PA - there is no length law for a knife in PA. You can openly carry a sword down the street, in any part of PA except "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia). The only governing fact of the law about knife carry in PA is that it CANNOT be concealed, without a LTC (which doesn't exist), and that it must be carried for a lawful purpose. (Without intention to break the law.)

Most cops will tell you that the limit is 4-6 inches, and that you can't legally carry it out in the open. (Exactly the opposite of the law.)

I normally carry a Ka-Bar or survival knife on my leg, about mid-thigh, on the side (not on my belt, it's stringed to my thigh). I never carry it concealed, and it draws attention from just about everyone. I've only been called on it once, and after quoting the law to the cop, he let me go.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

the trick is to just buy a few, and move them around periodically and without warning.
People will eventually slow down in general, but you don't have as much up front cost

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I can't keep up with all your posts!

Keep in mind there are a LOT of laws. And really, how often does someone walk around with a sword?
Ok, actually I have done that on a number of occasions, but it is still pretty rare.

Quote:

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
I can't keep up with all your posts!

Keep in mind there are a LOT of laws. And really, how often does someone walk around with a sword?
Ok, actually I have done that on a number of occasions, but it is still pretty rare.
Yeah, I should be editing posts instead of posting again.

I have also done that - but according to most officers, it's "illegal" and they will confiscate/issue a citation for it.

What they don't know is that they're issuing a citation for a law that doesn't exist, citing another law which doesn't cover the issue at hand.

Another example -

I have a pistol. I don't have a LTCF in any state, reciprocal or otherwise. In Pennsylvania, it is perfectly legal to have said pistol "on my person, conealed or otherwise, in my own abode." This does not mean that it can be taken outside my home, even on my own property.

I've been issued a citation for "concealing a weapon on my person unlawfully" for carrying that pistol in my home, in a holster, while a cop was present. (That cop was already upset with me for other things, I think he was venting.) I won that one too.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I've been issued a citation for "concealing a weapon on my person unlawfully" for carrying that pistol in my home, in a holster
I can't imagine a circumstance where that would come up!

Although I suppose if it did, I would (calmly) ask the officer to cite specifically what penal code is being violated (by the number).

Alright. This discussion has made up my mind - I'm going to print out the relevant vehicle code provisions on driving slowly and coasting
(it is illegal to coast downhill in neutral in CA - which means coasting with it in gear, but the clutch held in is legal, and coasting on level ground in neutral is legal.)

Quote:

Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
I don't think you can get in big trouble with most of these anyway
Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

I would - just in case. The weight of the paper to be carried around with you is negligible, and if it saves you a ticket or a court appearance just one time, it's paid for itself in fuel costs.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

In my three years of hypermiling, I got pulled over once - they day before Thanksgiving as I was 45 about to go 50-55 (it's posted 60 where I was).

I'd think it would be very rare to get a ticket for doing 50 and the officers know it, so they probably go no farther than a warning.

Reply  Post New Thread