Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

ausiasmobil - '06 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Reference
90 day: 40.22 mpg (US)

EcoTxec - '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 cv Laurin & Klement
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momorris View Post
I have chipped my 1.4 hdi. The box has 2 maps. 1 for economy and 1 for power. The box plugs in series into the fuel rail pressure signal. I know that it is simply increasing fuel pressure earlier than standard but it does work. The car used to be flat above 3000 but it continues pulling now. The economy part simply comes from the fact that I can now use 4th where I would previously have to be in 3rd. Lower speeds but higher gear without labouring the engine.
You are describing the typical fuel saving when increasing torque in low power to mass ratio vehicles. But I think that you are fooling the ECU and it is not good if you want your engine last hundred thousand of milles.

Explain more details of the make/model power before/after, etc.
Black smoke, differences between ECO map and power (inside the box there is any programmable chip? are you sure? map means matrix and math calculation to be done ). Box often is the same as "Evry Mod" some cheap resistors and electronic components. This usually adds a fixed resistance to the correct signal.
I thing its not possible doing any "maps" who transform Voltage input signal in Voltage output signal without anymore input. It usually "2 maps" means "2 button that switch between two impedances"

If you have a 1.4 HDI of around 70 bhp ( like this, you will be happy with really power/economy improvement if you remap your ECU to 90 bhp Upsolute 1.4 HDI remap. You will get around +28% torque that will allow increase gears because yours gearbox step a -20% max force between nth and nth+1 gear ratio.

But if your car has high mileage or some engine wear, first you need to do before remap in order to save fuel is:
- Compression Test: you must obtain above 22 bar (around 25 to 30 when new, i dont have the reapir manual of your engine but I assessed a quick calculation to obtain it).
- Data log air flow vs rpm from MAF at full throttle from idle or data log Intake pressure vs rpm, you will need OBDII interface and a notebook. It is easy on VW engines.

Compression test will say you if your engine is worn, and you will get lots of black smoke, chaos and self destruction.
Testing volumetric efficiency will prevent you to blow your turbo, and lots of black smoke also if your engine doesn't breath enough and near to specified values.

If your engine is new or in good condition you will get also black smoke (ECU rempa adds around 10% more air but 30% more fuel, so lean diesel burn become near stoichometric) but will pass MOT emission. Ask someone to follow your car when full throttle and look for black smoke or Lots of Balck Smoke of Biohazard dead ones you have with your mod.

More info about ECO unfriendly Evry mod:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...s-links-11767/

Sold:

Last edited by ausias; 03-09-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting..... I thought about this some time ago and came across some websites that sell tuners to do just that like below. Then I try other websites and there is no listing for an Insight or at least the newer ones.

2010 Honda Insight Jet V Force Plus Power Control Module

Jet V Force Plus Power Control Module
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had written a large post but lost it so here is a quicker reply.

The box does increase torque, allowing me to use the better gear. The economy map does not increase above standard rail pressure but probably increases the pressure sooner hence the reason I can use the gears better but the car still loses it at top end of the rev range. The power setting increases above stock which is why it pulls for much further. It has a processor chip inside it and is more than just a resistor ( I had a look).

I decided to get a box after a friend reported better mpg and how it made the car more drive able. After running mine I would certainly do it again. I don't get black smoke from my box but my friend did when he tried the max power setting so he turned it down.

The 90 bhp limit on the 1.4 is mainly due to EGT shooting up with any boost increase. You can push it further with an inter cooler.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Increasing the pressure at the fuel rail, but getting lesser injection pulses per cycle, can increase the efficiency altough there would increase the harshness. Just like an old-school Diesel with electronic controls instead of an all-mechanical pump
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #45 (permalink)
Beginner Hypermiler

Gas Bicycle - '89 Spartamet Bicycle
Last 3: 194.19 mpg (US)

A Swift - '98 Suzuki Swift
90 day: 30.35 mpg (US)

Beater car 2 - '01 Suzuki Swift Summum
90 day: 31.34 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to SwiftAnon
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Has anyone had their car's engine software remapped to improve fuel efficiency rather than gain more power ?

Rica in the Netherlands claim up to 15% increases in FE for the 1.6D engine in my car with an E-power upgrade !
RICA Engineering - Performance and Economy Tuning for Volvo, BMW, Audi, VW, Mercedes and most other makes and models

The FE numbers shown are not the official European testcycle ratings, but rather the results of their own (outsourced) testing.

Considering it's actually less (!) expensive as having my rear windows professionaly tinted, I'm tempted to give it a try.
i guess im way too late.
i live in the netherlands and i would definitely get it ECO tuned if it is cheap
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some 1990's General Motors ECMs have a disabled "highway mode" that leans out the fuel mixture a bit under steady cruising with part throttle.

The reason why it's disabled is it raises the NOx level a bit too much to suit CARB, so rather than disable it only for California destined vehicles, GM shut it off for all.

I'm going to have a PROM programmed for my 1982 GMC flatbed with it enabled and any other MPG improving program changes there are, that won't reduce power when it's needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizzybody For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #47 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Didn't VW have a special chiptuning in some of their engines? Something which activates/disactivates only under certain circumstances? Cleaner emissions or something...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I was going to point out that it's a 2010 thread with a last post in 2013; but maybe your approach is better.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
Beginner Hypermiler

Gas Bicycle - '89 Spartamet Bicycle
Last 3: 194.19 mpg (US)

A Swift - '98 Suzuki Swift
90 day: 30.35 mpg (US)

Beater car 2 - '01 Suzuki Swift Summum
90 day: 31.34 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to SwiftAnon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Didn't VW have a special chiptuning in some of their engines? Something which activates/disactivates only under certain circumstances? Cleaner emissions or something...
Emissions
Im more about saving fuel and money. P

Its only the newer diesel cars that do this trick

Reply  Post New Thread