Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2024, 11:14 AM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
' trimming '

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
My plan is to eliminate the pie piece by lowering the floor. (Cheap temporary foam)

Should I trim up the sides as in this photo?
From this image, I'll throw out these recommendations to consider:
1) At the top of the WT, extend the upper panel all the way to where the top of the side panels end, taking full advantage of available ramp deceleration/ pressure recovery.
2) Instead of 'trimming' the lower parts of the side panels 'UP' into a 'scalloped' shape ( like Lawrence Livermore did ), shoot a 10-degree slope, up the from the back of rear wheels, where you first see daylight between the tread and the road ( this will honor the Society of Automotive Engineers' 'Departure' angle of 10-degrees for driveway ramp clearance ), and 'LOWER' the bottom of the side panels, 'ADDING' material, so to coincide with this new imaginary slope. This will give you 'diffuser sides' , for additional pressure recovery at the bottom, not presently available, plus, additional 'maximum' pressure recovery on the sides themselves.
3) Then, lower the 'floor' down to the bottom of these new sides, to create the lower surface of the added diffuser ( good for approximately 20-counts of drag reduction on a passenger car ).
4) I see that you've added taillights to the sides of the WT, so, other than making the license plate visible, your legal requirements are basically covered.
5) I can't really see what's going on up top. Those upper corners being airtight, and free of 'kinks', are crucial for optimum flow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can find a 'drone' pilot, with a unit capable of 'chasing' ZEVO at 63-mph, capturing the tuft flow up there, I'll reimburse you for it! ( I have a benefactor who is backing our amateur aerodynamics )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS,
The tuft flow looks really good! I think you're down to just dealing with 'pimples on the elephants behind.' And the tuft 'disturbance' at the bottom sides 'could' be induced from the bow-wake of the chase car. Don't know.

Last edited by aerohead; 09-07-2024 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: add PS
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2024, 12:01 PM   #192 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
From this image, I'll throw out these recommendations to consider:
1) At the top of the WT, extend the upper panel all the way to where the top of the side panels end, taking full advantage of available ramp deceleration/ pressure recovery.

Now that I know I have decent attached flow I will put on the 22" polycarbonate side extensions and the same for the roof at about 30"
Top & Sides will be flush right at 70" behind bumper with wake width 48"

2) Instead of 'trimming' the lower parts of the side panels 'UP' into a 'scalloped' shape ( like Lawrence Livermore did ), shoot a 10-degree slope, up the from the back of rear wheels, where you first see daylight between the tread and the road ( this will honor the Society of Automotive Engineers' 'Departure' angle of 10-degrees for driveway ramp clearance ), and 'LOWER' the bottom of the side panels, 'ADDING' material, so to coincide with this new imaginary slope. This will give you 'diffuser sides' , for additional pressure recovery at the bottom, not presently available, plus, additional 'maximum' pressure recovery on the sides themselves.

I have not yet gotten to the point I am ready to move the license plate. This kind of limits lowering sides. I am planning a foam floor, 6'L right at the 24" above road height, same as the Van floor. I feel it is the best I can do without moving the license plate.

3) Then, lower the 'floor' down to the bottom of these new sides, to create the lower surface of the added diffuser ( good for approximately 20-counts of drag reduction on a passenger car ).
4) I see that you've added taillights to the sides of the WT, so, other than making the license plate visible, your legal requirements are basically covered.

Not cheap but really happy with the 2nd & 3rd pair of lights. 3rd (rearmost) pair easily repositionable.

5) I can't really see what's going on up top. Those upper corners being airtight, and free of 'kinks', are crucial for optimum flow.

Good enough for right now but not allowing doors to articulate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can find a 'drone' pilot, with a unit capable of 'chasing' ZEVO at 63-mph, capturing the tuft flow up there, I'll reimburse you for it! ( I have a benefactor who is backing our amateur aerodynamics )

WOW! I will look.WOW!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS,
The tuft flow looks really good! I think you're down to just dealing with 'pimples on the elephants behind.' And the tuft 'disturbance' at the bottom sides 'could' be induced from the bow-wake of the chase car. Don't know.
Hoping the bottom modifications fix my drag so I can get numerical improvement.

Thanks Aerohead,

JF
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnForde For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 12:07 PM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' improvement'

John, I feel like you're right on the 'edge'!
Hang in there.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:23 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' ZEVO's underbody diffuser region '

From your recent photos I was able to discern that the spare tire is 'exposed' to the airstream, where I had presumed that that portion of the belly were perfectly 'smooth.'
We know from Subaru wind tunnel testing that this is 'lethal' to 'aerodynamics'.' I've been unable to find a technical drawing, showing the underbody in detail. The local GMC dealership says they can't get 'anything' about your ZEVO out of GM. They all saw it at a GM clinic that they attended in Kansas City, but they haven't heard a word about it since.
The RIVIAN-built Amazon-Prime delivery van may have sent everyone else back to the 'drawing board'.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:33 PM   #195 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Helpful. I will go look now.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #196 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a piece of Polycarbonate twin wall I can put right over the tire. These images show the battery ends in front of the rear axle. I am not sure how to deal with that gap, covering mechanicals and potential heat issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zevo Belly 4 Aerohead 9-7.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	35105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240907_115051707_HDR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	35106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240907_115116120_HDR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	35107  
aerohead (09-09-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 02:39 PM   #197 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hard to lower floor.
1. License plate
2. rear sensors
3. Porous everywhere

Gonna try a foam floor @ 24" continuous height
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WT Foam floor @ 24%22 not 16%22.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	35108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240826_165628028.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	35109  
aerohead (09-09-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 02:48 PM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
It's in the wrong place. Maybe a Jeep spare tire carrier?

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/pub...2563000-22.jpg

Old 09-07-2024, 04:06 PM   #199 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It's in the wrong place. Maybe a Jeep spare tire carrier?

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/pub...2563000-22.jpg
Ha! Ive never seen one over a roll up back door.

It's OK where it is. It just needs a cover.
freebeard (09-07-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 10:15 AM   #200 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
Ha! Ive never seen one over a roll up back door.

It's OK where it is. It just needs a cover.
Having used vans with rollups, it would be hugely annoying to move the tire out of the way a couple hundred times a day delivering no matter how it was installed for swing, and I cannot imagine it on a dock delivery with the dock at door level

Tags
brightdrop, electric van, zevo