Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2024, 03:27 AM   #91 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
First test. No success. 30 miles each way.
1.55mi/kWh northbound
1.85 southbound.
Stock Zevo averages 1.85
Pictures
Hard to believe that a boattail like the one in your pics wouldn't have any effect

What speed were you testing at? For the tests you might want to try a slightly higher speed than you would normally be driving, just to exaggerate the results.
When I tested my aero mods I did passes at 70 and at 100 km/h to see the difference.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
JohnForde (08-02-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #92 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Hard to believe that a boattail like the one in your pics wouldn't have any effect

What speed were you testing at? For the tests you might want to try a slightly higher speed than you would normally be driving, just to exaggerate the results.
When I tested my aero mods I did passes at 70 and at 100 km/h to see the difference.
What looks aerodynamic sometimes is not. The 18 degree angle is likely still too large and flow is separating. (Which is why the commercial version has a 11 degree angle)
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
JohnForde (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 11:55 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The current iteration has 14 degree doors. Still no effect.

200 miles in to my day todaythe coroplast cuff failed. It is just too much to ask for from Gorilla tape.

It occurs to me that the first thing I should do is tuff test the stock cuff. It is 12 inches at about 17 degrees.

Back to the drawing board to re fabricate the cuff. I'm remembering that I have excellent structure on which to build. I am considering aluminum sheet, maybe 3/16". or possibly that hard plastic they use in cutting boards.

The other urgent piece is replacing the tail lights with new lights on the step bumper. This will allow full height doors.

At a wedding this weekend in western South Dakota. Back working on the project at home in St Paul Tuesday.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnForde For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:13 AM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
I am considering aluminum sheet, maybe 3/16". or possibly that hard plastic they use in cutting boards.

Polymetal/Alumapanel/Maxmetal. The sample was sheared rolled and braked by hand. A 6-7ft roller could be improvised with three pipes and skate board bearings.

I learned that a braked angle should be scored on the inside to crush the plastic core, as you can see.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JohnForde (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 01:28 PM   #95 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
The current iteration has 14 degree doors. Still no effect.
If I understand correctly the stock rear trim is 17 degrees. Your structure is 14 degrees, and you have a taped panels to connect the two angles.

There is no effect because the flow is separating before it reaches your added structure. The stock 17 degree angle is too much.
Old 08-04-2024, 11:51 AM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,967 Posts
Since this is the latest box tail / box cavity thread I'll post this here.

Looks to be part of an expandable camper scheme.

Next Honda Element?
https://tflcar.com/2024/08/ask-natha...otive-messiah/

Just looking at the angles, the lower departure angle looks to be for off-road and NOT aerodynamics.

2012 Infiniti G37X Coupe
1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

You cannot sell aerodynamics in a can............
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2024), Joggernot (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 12:06 PM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If I understand correctly the stock rear trim is 17 degrees. Your structure is 14 degrees, and you have a taped panels to connect the two angles.

There is no effect because the flow is separating before it reaches your added structure. The stock 17 degree angle is too much.
Interesting observation, and seems to match what has been posted in the forum previously.

Maximum angle for boat tail?
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tail-8927.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Speed affects the Reynold's number, which has a small effect over the range we are concerned with. The classic answer to afterbody taper is 15 deg. top and sides, and 4 on the bottom. Those are average best numbers, but can be affected by many other factors.
I know first hand how frustrating things can be when trying new things.

Hang in there JohnForde.

Is there any way to change materials to something clear like acrylic so that it is continuous along the sides?

I'm just thinking that something less than half the extension you have now with similar angles three sides and full length at the sides will be more effective.

New Boat Tail Design Could Improve Class 8 Truck Fuel Economy by 10%
https://www.greencarcongress.com/200...at_tail_d.html
Quote:
The Clarkson researchers evaluated more than 100 different design geometries, where cavity length, boat tail angle, and inset from the trailer edge were varied at yaw angles up to 9 degrees. They found that the optimum geometry of a four-foot device with a boat tail angle of 10° and no inset could reduce the indicated drag coefficient up to CD=0.12.

2012 Infiniti G37X Coupe
1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

You cannot sell aerodynamics in a can............

Last edited by kach22i; 08-04-2024 at 12:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 10:34 AM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Current plan: Cuff using HDPE. Cuff is 11 degrees and 18"L.
Doors of 55", just reaching 48" behind the bumper (legal). They can adjust the second break angle. Or just stay at 11 deg. I am hoping to tuft test and maintain attachment at 16 or 18 deg. This is to follow Aeroheads advice that drag is porportional to wake size, or as I call it, the 'aperture'.
Once I succeed on the basic tail I will put tail lights at the tips and add a foldable or detachable polycarbonate extension to ~96".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 9.32.40 AM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	34963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 9.44.00 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	34964  

Last edited by JohnForde; 08-05-2024 at 10:45 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnForde For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2024), JSH (08-05-2024), kach22i (08-08-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 11:45 AM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
' first test '

It's a 'success' because you've obtained valuable data you couldn't otherwise have obtained.
'Armchair-quarterbacking', I'd say that the first issue involves the 'cuff.' Let's say, it's a 12-inch radius. Imagine a 'clock face' 24-inches in diameter, laid directly over it.
If the flow over the roof and sides reaches the beginning of the 'cuff' at 12:00 o'clock, you're going to experience flow separation when the air reaches '4-seconds' past 12:00.
'Technically', this is where your attachment point would be.
Whatever angle chosen, it would begin at this location.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On simple, 'van-like' vehicles, with straight sides and roof, the lowest drag for 'straight angle', 'sharp-corner', boat-tailing has occurred with rather 'shallow' angles.
* The Ahmed body achieves minimum Cd at 9-degrees slope.
* The Howell et al. Windsor body 'sharp-cornered tail achieves an 18% drag reduction with 8-degrees top & sides, flat bottom.
* ATDynamics Trailer Tail uses 12.5-degrees top & sides, flat floor.
* Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory used 11-degrees, top & sides, with flat floor.
* I do not possess 'true-length' images for Clarkson University's tails, but they'd be worth the 'hunt.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems logical, that changing from 14-degrees, off the 4-second location on the 'cuff', to perhaps 12.5-degrees, would get you in attached flow territory.
Old 08-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
16-18-degrees

Quote:
Current plan: Cuff using HDPE. Cuff is 11 degrees and 18"L.
Doors of 55", just reaching 48" behind the bumper (legal). They can adjust the second break angle. Or just stay at 11 deg. I am hoping to tuft test and maintain attachment at 16 or 18 deg. This is to follow Aeroheads advice that drag is porportional to wake size, or as I call it, the 'aperture'.
Once I succeed on the basic tail I will put tail lights at the tips and add a foldable or detachable polycarbonate extension to ~96".
1) I'd focus on 'attached flow' as without it, there's no pressure recovery, and the 'wake' begins exactly at the point of separation.
2) If you can 'sneak up' on the 'cuff' with an 11-degree angle, and see 'where' it 'touches' the 'cuff,' that ought to be the actual 'origin' of the whale tail.
3) Don't rely on the 'cuff' itself for any meaningful pressure recovery. It's radius just isn't up to the task.
4) If you can get 11-degrees, just stay with it.
5) Any 'breaks' to a 'steeper' angle will be the trigger for an adverse pressure gradient that will kill flow attachment right then and there.
6) The new 'wake' size will be a function of the length of the tail. With drafting instruments, and a scale-drawing, you can ascertain what the new wake area will be, before you begin.
7) Another 'fly in the ointment' is vortex-induced drag. In 1984, P.W. Bearman reported on research of a proto-Windsor body of Cd 0.262 as a 'squareback'.
As rear downslope was introduced, creating a 'fastback', vortex drag initiated immediately, raising the Cd to as high as 0.37, depending on the angle.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-05-2024 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
brightdrop, electric van, zevo