Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
30mpg 90's Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

40/33/37

Pretty dang good considering 30 MPG is about the best a 90's Camry does.
The current, 4-cyl Camry, non-hybrid is getting 43-mpg at 70-mph, with AC on; between Carson City, Nevada, and into California and back.
Ford is using Toyota's technology ( TRW's ).
If the Maverick were driven at a constant velocity where it returned 33-mpg, we'd have an engineering value that we could reverse-engineer some data from. The Toyota Atkinson-cycle engine is very efficient. And on the highway, on the flat, at steady cruise, the hybrid would not be contributing, making clear what the engine was contributing by itself.
When AeroStealth bought his 2014 F-150 4X4, EcoBoost we road-tested it in West Texas, finding that it returned it's EPA rated 22-mpg at a constant 65-mph, with the AC on.
That's the kind of number we'd want from the Maverick.
PS, AeroStealth also owned Ford's C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid. Commuting between home and Las Cruces, New Mexico, in the thinner air, at steady 65-mph, with AC-on, the C-Max returned around 32-mpg. We could compare curb weight, frontal area to the Maverick. C-Max is Cd 0.29.

Last edited by aerohead; 07-25-2022 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: add PS
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-25-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Unfortunately, there are no flat and level roads within 100 miles of where I live, so it's difficult to do constant speed testing. It apparently takes power from the high voltage battery when accelerating to speed, because the instantaneous MPG is lower for the first several highway miles at speed. I can only rarely run at constant power and constant speed for more than one mile, and it takes about ten miles to fully get to steady state.

I will not lower the truck. Less ground clearance is not acceptable because not all of my driving is on good roads. One road once had a long oil trail from somebody's vehicle that failed to clear a rock.

Under my current summer driving conditions, the Maverick is getting 50 MPG, while the Canyon was getting 36 MPG. That's a 39% improvement, even though the Maverick lacks an aero topper and has about 10% more frontal area than the Canyon.

I want a full topper for security, keeping rain out, and gas mileage. That topper needs a hinged lid for easy access and for large loads. I want a topper with better appearance than the Canyon topper, so no hack jobs.

The Maverick responds nicely to P&G. This is because it is more efficient to accelerate at 10% power, then coast at zero power, than to run at 2% to 3% power and cycle between charging the battery and running off the battery. The Maverick seamlessly shifts between Drive and Neutral in both directions. I found it easier to glide by shifting to Neutral, however the best place to rest my right arm ended up inadvertently switching to Sport mode. I'm working on this to find a better way, possibly some sort of arm rest over the buttons.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:55 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
I want a topper with better appearance than the Canyon topper, so no hack jobs.
Was than one commercial or home-brew?

Old 07-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #94 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Thanks, I didn't know a PHEV was in the works. That would be great for me, too.

I've heard rumors that an EV version was coming, too. That's what I really want but it might be hard to wait.
It would take 5 minutes for Ford to make a PHEV Maverick given it shares a drivetrain with the Escape PHEV.

Originally Ford was to make a PHEV Maverick sometime in the next couple years, instead they have Pivoted to this

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/fo...-pulled.18398/

They also stopped talk of the PHEV focusing on EV releases.

I am hoping the Maverick gets offered as a PHEV and would have one on order if it were PHEV.

However BEV in this area at the likely price is questionable for me at least.

Ford moves GLACIALLY on alternative powertrains and given their bad luck with 2 of their recent plug ins that trend will likely continue

Heck the Maverick hybrid already has 2 recall level issues one with dead batteries and the other with a fire hazard.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 01:38 AM   #95 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
It would take 5 minutes for Ford to make a PHEV Maverick given it shares a drivetrain with the Escape PHEV.
Both the Maverick and Bronco Sport could be fitted with hybrid drivetrains, not only a PHEV. RHD versions would also be useful to increase their international availability, in a moment when Ford is placing most of its bets on trucks and SUVs.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:09 PM   #96 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Ford was to make a PHEV Maverick sometime in the next couple years, instead they have Pivoted to this
More like thousands of hours of engineering and test time, millions of dollars and 18 months. For reference it once took me 8 months to switch from bolt / nut / washers to a flange bolt and flange nut because we had to do FMEA, shaker testing, and track and road testing to prove the new combination wouldn't shake loose over time. (A flange nut and a bolt with washer will have different clamp loads at the same tightening torque)

People think dropping a corporate drivetrain into another variant is quick and easy - it isn't. Yes, it should work but you have to test and prove that is DOES work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-11-2022), freebeard (08-10-2022), redpoint5 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 10:48 PM   #97 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
More like thousands of hours of engineering and test time, millions of dollars and 18 months. For reference it once took me 8 months to switch from bolt / nut / washers to a flange bolt and flange nut because we had to do FMEA, shaker testing, and track and road testing to prove the new combination wouldn't shake loose over time. (A flange nut and a bolt with washer will have different clamp loads at the same tightening torque)

People think dropping a corporate drivetrain into another variant is quick and easy - it isn't. Yes, it should work but you have to test and prove that is DOES work.
If the Maverick would have been built as PHEV in the first place and no ecobust your argument would be moot.

I will have to see if I can find it again but over 60% of the Escape hybrid parts were said to fit the Maverick . The parts that don’t fit are the body, dash and obvious components, though some of the door parts are interchangeable.

Some stupid parts like the gas tank mount differently but front drivetrain up is virtually identical with a handful of relocations.

We are talking sheet metal swaps on a platform.

Some of the changes on the Maverick may end up rolling into future escape models.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:31 AM   #98 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
If the Maverick would have been built as PHEV in the first place and no ecobust your argument would be moot.

I will have to see if I can find it again but over 60% of the Escape hybrid parts were said to fit the Maverick . The parts that don’t fit are the body, dash and obvious components, though some of the door parts are interchangeable.

Some stupid parts like the gas tank mount differently but front drivetrain up is virtually identical with a handful of relocations.

We are talking sheet metal swaps on a platform.

Some of the changes on the Maverick may end up rolling into future escape models.
If the Maverick had been built as a PHEV in the first place it would have sold in tiny numbers and wouldn't be a viable product. Volume is needed to make business case work at the current low pricing. The EcoBoost is the volume seller and likely the least expensive version to build.

Sheet metal swaps aren't simple and easy. When the sheet metal changes the stiffness of the unibody changes which means the unibody flexes in different ways and the loads on components change. A unibody truck like the Maverick is going to flex in a very different way than a CUV like the Escape - especially with the payloads and tow rating. Just because a component physically bolts up doesn't mean it will last the service life of a vehicle.

AGAIN - Engineers have to prove that it works - which means testing that specific variant.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 03:49 PM   #99 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

A Maverick with only HEV and PHEV options would not sell in tiny numbers

63% of orders were for the hybrid, Ford rejected large numbers of hybrid orders so the final sale volume may not match but customers spoke and Ford wasn’t able to deliver the volume.

I myself would have ordered if PHEV existed, even with the year wait.

HEV or Ecobust aren’t motivating .
Though hybrid is far better than nothing

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford...py-photos/amp/

Sadly next year the Maverick is going to be a +$5000 affair with no guaranteed sale price in the contract
Old 08-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #100 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
There shouldn't even be a pickup truck option without hybrid at minimum, starting about a decade ago.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (08-11-2022), rmay635703 (08-11-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread